conch in cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjeff

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm making my first trip to Cozumel on September 18, and would love recomendations for funky island bars. I lived for many years in St. Thomas and the Bahamas and would appreciate tips also on where I might find conch salad and/or conch chowder in Cozumel. Also, what's your favorite shallow dive (to 50 feet) with minimal current? Thanks for your input!
diverjeff

Hi diverjeff,

Coz is not the Bahamas or the USVIs, and it understandably doesn't share their enthusiam for or skill in preparing conch. Don't get your hopes or taste buds elevated for caracol stew or salad. But do try some of the regional dishes, such as chicken in mole sauce, chuleta Yucatec & shrimp in Mayan spices. El Capi Navigante is one the places that I've seen conch on the menu.

Nice dive sites that aren't too deep and often (no guarantees on Coz) without heavy current include Columbia Shallows, La Francesca, Dalilia & Torrmentos.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I looked at my logbook. Loved Shallow Columbia. Hvae fun...adn if you dive with Dive Paradise...tell them I said "Hi! and thanks."

Although I've heard that the cruise shippers have now found it, El Moro, on the east side of town behind the cement plant, used to have superb ceviche - conch and otherwise (my favorite was the "mixed").
If it hasn't been completely overrun with cruisers I'd give that one a try.
Rick

Then that is good, because chuleta Yucatec & shrimp in Mayan spices are their signature dishes. La Choza does a mean chicken mole.

Just realized that no one has as yet answered the funky island bars question. Over on the east side are Mescalito's, Paradise Cafe (AKA Bob Marley's Bar) & Coconuts, all on the beach, all laid back & all right.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thank you all for your suggestions, and I've jotted them all down to check out when i go South on the 18th.

was on delila Saturday. Current was really strong. If you missed something there was no going back. Have a good trip

Bob Marleys is a cool place to check out. Can't vouch for the food, as I've only drank there. If you go, bring the boogie board. The waves on that side of the island can be pretty good. I love the natural, undeveloped side. It's beautiful.

As for the dive: Shallow Columbia is 15-35' & Shallow Palancar is 20-40' Both are nice dives, but there is almost always current.

I have never seen conch served in Cozumel. But have not searched for it. So maybe you'll have better luck.

Hey, Jeff,

If'n you are headed to Mescalito's, you gotta rent one of those funky VW convertibles and drive there from town. But its worth the trip--and they got a neat t-shirt, to boot!

Our most recent favorite restaurant in town is at the far northern end of Avenida Mergal (the main drag) and goes by the unlikely name of "Guidos". Serves some darn good Italian food along with local cuisine.

If you want to do a shallow-currentless dive, try the shore dive right in front of the Fiesta Americana (out of town, at the south end). You can rent tanks and wts there from a shop called The Dive House and pop into the water right in front of the shop. It never gets deeper than 25' and, once you get out to the coral heads, it is a nice "little dive": you might even run into a conch peeking at you!

That said, you gotta do some of the live boat drift diving that Coz is famous for. La Francesa, Columbia Reef, Cedral, Yocab, Santa Rosa, San Francisco, etc. all provide some of the best diving in North America!

Scorpionfish--a fish that looks like it was "beat with Bo Diddly's Ugly Stick"!

Another good shore dive is the old plane wreck in front of ElCid Hotel. About 2 mi. south of town, you can rent tanks there on the dock from Del Mar Aquatics. It also makes a great night dive. Just ask the guys on the dock about the current at the time. Any of the shore dives can have currents....

One thing you'll want to do is get THE Cozumel map from Can-Do Maps It's got more info on it than most travel books. You've still got time to order it and plan out your stops ahead of time! Every single business on the island is on the map as well as the touristy stuff.

Some of my favorite restaurants are...
Earnesto's...south close to ElCid
LaParilla...on 5th Ave. next door to Caballito del Caribe
La Choza...corner of 10th and 5th
French Quarter..can be pricey but excellent
Jeannie's Waffle House
Papa's Hogtown Cafe...south at Papa Hog's dive shop

have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom