Computers Suck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
and I don't need a computer to calculate my average depth. I can do your same dive with my bottom timer and my brain and be just fine.

IMHO, the true benefit of dive computers come into play when there is a screwup, maybe lost diver or missed exit point or ascent line, an emergency or other change in dive plan, and you are task loaded.

When I am dealing with a diver that needs an assist, I don't want to be guessing what my average depth and NDL was when I am problem solving, with this computer technology available.

The proper backup for a computer is another computer, not square tables. I am not advocating forgetting what the tables say. In fact, on every dive, I review my plan, the tables and NDL's in my head, before the dive.

All tools have good points and bad points.

Sometimes tools are used improperly.

My dive computer can tell someone what my dive profile was, even if I am unable to do so.

I do not let my computer decide for me what I should do, I use it as one more source of information.

5615mike:
No computers do not suck.........divers need to know how to deal with them when they do malfunction.........because if you dive long enough they will.

If OW divers would take a page or two from the technical rules they would realize that you need to plan on things going wrong and have a contingency plan to deal with them. IMO, AI computers are a waste of money. Anyone who dives with one and does not have a BU spg and depth guage is not taking their safety all too serious or they just don't think.
I think this is key - as long as you are prepared to deal with equipment failures, dive whatever gear configuration you are comfortable with. I use an AI vytec, and I find it quite convenient. Should it fail, it would not be disastrous. Not even close. I do have a backup SPG and Vyper in a pocket. Not that I would need to use them right away. I'll already have a pretty good idea of how much gas I have left at any one time. The backup computer is so I can keep diving later on in the day.

This whole post is a TROLLLLLLLLLLl----Not going to Bite!

here's my ten cents (my 2 cents are free):

for no-decompression, recreational diving, computers are excellent tools. just
back them up with a contingency plan (as simple as knowing your max time
at depth by the tables and not exceeding that in case of computer failure. if computer fails past that time, simply terminate dive and do a long safety stop to be safe).

Back
Top Bottom