Computers reading differently.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey folks I understand why different manufacturers have different setups and safe dive profiles in computers.
But could someone explain to me why two computers on the same wrist of a diver would give two different DEPTH readings. The difference was only 1.0m (3 feet) at 15m but it did raise the question of the accuracy of the other information displayed.

1 meter difference seems very high, but could be explained by differences in tolerance of the depth sensor - if one sensor is at the high end of the range and the other at the low end of range - the difference between them can be large. For fun grab a bunch of regs and put them on your tank and note the range of pressure shown - it can be 100's of PSI from highest to lowest......

Such is the accuracy of gauges we use.......

M

Was one set to fresh water and the other to salt?

My computers read up to 2ft different when on the same wrist, 2 are same model, all 3 same mfg. I attribute it to the mfg tolerance of the depth sensors and rounding.

My computer told me my recent deep dive was 63 degrees. My instructor's said it was 50 degrees. Based on the lack of feeling in my fingers I believe my instructor's computer. :eyebrow:

We always use the lowest temperature from anyone's computer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently with a both a Suunto Zoop and D4 on the same wrist slightly below 10 meters, one said I had a 3 meter / 4 minute deco obligation, and the other said I has 30+ minutes of NDL left.

Then as soon as I moved above 10 meters, the computers with the 4 minute / 3 meter ceiling deco obligation showed over 30 minutes NDL.

I have seen this issue with Suunto around the 10 meter threshold a number of times, which leads me to believe there is a flaw in their algorithm at the 10 meter transition level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom