Computer Reccomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

My old computer bit the dust and I am in need of a new one. Since my other one was 14ish years old I have certainly been out of the loop with whats new.

Heres what I am looking for:
-Depth/max Depth
-Time under
-Temperature

That is really all I need

Things I wouldnt mind:

-Some sort of ascent rate indicator
-Stopwatch/timer feature for safety stops

Things I have no need for:
-Multigas modes
-Air integration
-Dive planner
-Computer uploading capabilities

99% of my dives are tropical, mostly Hawaii and Caribbean. Random lakes around Texas thrown in every now and then. 70 feet max.

I would prefer wrist, but console wouldnt be too bad.

puck style: mares puck

watch style: geo 2

can maybe find a used petrel for a bit more money too if you want a color screen

after that, you are really paying for optional features

omitted deep 6 due to lack of availability

Leisurepro has the Mares Puck Pro wrist mount for as cheap as $169. The price seems to fluctuate weekly - right now it's $195. They're a licensed dealer for everything they sell except Aqualung - which explains the significantly better prices on AL gear - and possibly Suunto also if they're closing it out - Huish took over Suunto US distribution last year from AL.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspp/mares-puck-pro-wrist-computer

Generally Suunto's dive a more conservative algorithm - and only get more conservative by design.

I think my next computer is going to be a non-AI Oceanic since they have a dual-algorithm on some of their line so you can more closely match with your buddy.

Whats the difference between the Puck pro and the Puck?

Not too concerned about algorithms. 70 feet is the deepest i plan on going.

Not too concerned about algorithms. 70 feet is the deepest i plan on going.

The requirements you listed would be met by any bottom timer. No need for a computer.

Do you actually want it to tell you your NDL, too?

If so, then you should still pay some attention to the algorithm. Even if you're only diving to 70', if you're doing multiple dives per day, for multiple days in a row, then the algorithm can make a very noticeable difference after the first few dives.

Not much. The puck pro has a mineral glass face, puck is plastic but has a protector. Puck pro allows gas switching the Puck does not.

I think the Puck is not continuing to be sold in wrist form only console form.

The two computer use different PC/USB interfaces, if you are interested in up-loading dives.

My family all use Pucks, either wrist or console, we have 9 and are all happy with them.

@laxicon347

Your requirements show that you are several years out of date with what is available and what is important. You need to upgrade your knownledge in addition to your computer.

Ocean computers are best at the level you are looking for. This is probably what will be good for you:

VEO 2.0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom