Computer Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver and I'm shopping for my first computer. I'd like to get a computer that has somewhat more functionality than I'll initially need (within reason) so I can grow into it. When/if I need a better computer, what I purchase now will become a backup. I plan to take a nitrox course (this spring) and eventually do some limited nitrox deco diving (perhaps in a year or two). I'm interested in wreck diving since there are quite a few wrecks where I live.

I'm inclined toward getting a non-AI wrist computer. This is partly because I'm currently renting equipment so I don't want to have to hassle with a transmitter or console every time I dive. I'm also leaning away from wireless AI due to the cost and potential unreliability. I also plan to get an interface so I can download my dives into a PC.

I've downloaded user manuals off the web for several different types of computers to get a basic understanding of the functionality. The ones I've looked at are the Dacor Darwin / Mares M1, Oceanic Versa Pro / Aeris Atmos 2, Suunto Viper, and Dive Rite NiTek Duo / Apeks Quantum. I've also checked out the Cochran Commander.

I tried both the Mares and the Dacor and I've all but eliminated them. The M1 didn't activate and the buttons on the Dacor were so stiff that my thumbs are still sore from using it. I also think these computers are too conservative.

The Cochran is impressive, but I think it might be overkill for a first computer. It's also a bit outside my price range.

Of the remaining computers, I like the Quantum because it has a nice display and it because also supports gas switching with two mixes. One of my dive buddies has one and he likes it. I also like that it seems to be relatively "middle of the road" in terms of being liberal or conservative.

I haven't looked at any Uwatec computers yet. Any suggestions as to which Uwatec computer I should look at?

I have two general questions that I'd appreciate comments on.

First pertaining to the PC interface. If I download the dives into a PC, will the software enable me to export the dive profile so I can crunch it in Excel? One thing I'd like to do is compute my average normalized SAC for each dive so I can monitor it over time.

Second pertaining to decompression dive planning. Just to be clear, I don't intend to do any deco diving until I get training. Since quite a few "recreational" dive computers support gas switching between two or three mixes (e.g., Apeks Quantum, Suunto Vytec, Oceanic Atom), that seems to imply that the computers are "intended" for deco diving. Do any of these computers come with software so a diver can plan in advance what deco obligation the computer will impose, like, for example the VR3? If not, then it makes me wonder what the point of this functionality is. I realize that technical divers use software like V-Planner, but if there's no way to know what deco the computer is going to call for, then what's the point of having it?

Anyway, sorry for such a long post. I look forward to some feedback, particularly if there are any considerations I've overlooked.

Hi,
The majority of rec. computers nowadays have two/three mix capabilities. I think this is because the training is getting better, different gasses are getting into the rec. sphere. The computer manufacturers are playing into this by giving the computers the capabilities so that they can 'grow with your experience and training levels'. So while the computers are deco capable (and this is a good thing when you make a mistake) they are not intended as such. I blieve that most if not all manuals will state this (liability etc).

PC interfaces are a nice to have and for many manufacturers an additional source of income (most are sold seperately). the majority of software that comes with these interfaces is a straight read out of the computer and a graphical representation of the dives (time, depth, date, temp. etc).

Computer are a nice tool to have with you when you are diving. They are precise, capable of doing complex calculations in a very short time and adjust your bottom time on the fly depending on the environment. However, I always dive with a plan made up front and use the computer as a reference. If at any time my computer fils, I have my plan at hand to either continue the dive, or call it. My advise is to have a computer to tel you where you are at any given point duting the dive, but don't solely depend on it. Electronics and water inherently do not mix and there will be failures......

If you're looking at the Dive Rite / Apeks, I'd also tell you maybe glance at Tusa. It's the same unit, but they also give you a replaceable lens scratch protector, and the Tusa service is the best in the business. As far as software for planning... Heck - Can't really tell you as they don't have their download software out yet. Probably in the next few months is what we're hearing from the the manufactureres, who are all waiting on the same vendor... So until the software ships - who knows what it will have? Wish I Knew!

The other thing to consider is getting a wireless AI computer and not getting the transmitter yet. I know my Uwatec will work without the transmitter (Aladdin Air Z Nitrox). I really like having my computer know how much air I have left...

Mark

I agree with mark i have an aeris elite i love. because it is AI it will switch and tell me how much bottom time i have left based on my air consumption rates at the time. or if my bottom time is longer than how much air i have it will give me remaining bottom time.
just my .02

John

Back
Top Bottom