Computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crash-A-Nova

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to scuba diving and I am interested in getting my own gear soon I think the first thing I would like to purchase is a computer. What is a good computer for scuba diving something that isn't too expensive but wikl give me the best and accurate readings? Any insight on this. Thank you

The SubGear/Scubapro/Uwatec XP-10 is an excellent dive computer. It is easy to use. The XP10 is a great value.

Buying a PDC as one of the first items of your own scuba gear (after mask, snorkel and fins) is a wise decision. At least this is what I did. However there are several things you should know before diving with a PDC, things that are not mentioned in the PDC user manual.
Though it could be an item that can last many years, be sure it's not so complex. be sure to support Nitrox up to 40 % and data download.
There are a large scale of brands, models and prices. I went with Oceanic, and I´m pretty happy with it.
Also, go a little beyond and buy the download cable, you will learn a lot looking your dive profile in your PC.

I was between my own reg and a dive computer when I was making my first purchase. I got a great deal and got a full system.

The puck is a staple and simple to use. I dive the puck air, which is attached to my reg. there are many non AI computers available. The Suunto Zoop is also a nice wrist computer which can be installed into a console when you purchase the rest of your system.

another thing to consider is if the computer will be in a console or not because on dive boats they don't allow you to attach anything to their regulators, assuming you have a hose attached computer. (Granted this is from my experience on dive boat) - wrist mounted computers, or those that are capable of being wrist mounted, are nice because if the event you travel and rent gear you will have the computer.

Any dive computer will be "accurate" in giving you time of dive, depth, and temperature. What they differ in is algorithm (conservative vs. liberal), features, display, electronic compass, and air integration (optional). You also have to decide if you want hose or wrist.

The least expensive computers have minimal features. Depth, time, temp, and then track NDL nitrogen loading. They are usually not air integrated so you would need an SPG to monitor air in your tank. They generally resemble a hockey puck in style and can be mounted in a wrist band or on a console as part of the SPG housing.

The more expensive ones start to add features like being able to choose between liberal v. conservative algorithms, ability to change to accomdate Nitrox, add air integration either by hose (cheaper) or wireless (more expensive), and some will have an electronic compass. Some have fancier displays with color like the Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon.

I dive an Aeris XR1, simple wrist computer. I got it cheap as a used/open box demo from Scubatoys for $125. It was not covered by manufacturer warranty since it was used but was covered by the dive shop for a year. It is not air integrated and I need an analog SPG to monitor my PSI in the tank.

Many online retailers have a used/open box section for various returned items and although hit or miss in terms of what you will find and at what price is a great way to start shopping.

As long as you stick with a name brand you should be fine. Many of the computers on the market today are manufactured by the same company (pelagic), although the algorithm utilized may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I personally like suunto. It was just feels like quality, and I like diving a little more conservative. I dive often, so I'm not worried about missing a couple of minutes here and there as a trade off for safety. On the other hand, I feel like oceanic/aeris has a more user friendly interface (more intuitive), and I never had any close calls or anything when I used to dive an aeris computer. I'm currently diving a suunto vyper air, before that I had an aeris atmos AI, before that I had an aeris atmos. Never tried any others but have read a few articles that compare the algorithms.

As far as air integrated vs non air integrated... I think it's a personal/financial preference. My suunto is air integrated via transmitter. It's a nice perk, but it's an expensive perk. I personally don't feel like its necessary or really adds a ton of value for recreational diving. It also adds another point of failure and another battery to change out (if you get a transmitter).

Also keep an eye for second handers,can sometimes score a good deal,sometimes even get 2 for the price of a new one :wink:

Me and the missus use a Suunto Zoop and Suunto Vyper,they do what they have to,display is clear enough and the Download Cable is compatible with both

The Suunto Zoop is a nice entry level computer. It is good enough for any recreational diver. Pretty much any will do the job though.

Think about what sort of diving you want to do - if you only ever want to do recreational stuff, the Zoop will be more than adequate. If you ever go down the tech route, something that allows nitrox to 100% (some only go up to 40%) and allows gas switching, and that has 'gauge mode' is ideal. My Suunto Vyper Air was my first computer - now it sits along my all singing and dancing trimix/CCR computer in gauge mode as a backup bottom timer.

Air integrated vs. non-integrated? It is a gimmick in my opinion. It is nice to be able to se air consumption on your wrist and download it to your PC but it isn't essential. The other thing to think about is the connection to the 1st stage. Those with remote transmitters have a little stick poking out of the first stage, which are easily grabbed by ham-fisted boat crew. Console mounted can easily end up on the floor and get kicked. As mentioned already, you will need your own regs if you go air integrated as dive shops don't tend to appreciate customers taking spanners to theirs.

Whatever you get, I'd recommend you get a bungee mount. You scrap the watch type wrist strap and replace it with two loops of bungee. If a pin fails on the watch strap, it will fall off and plummet into the deep. With a bungee strap, if one breaks, the other will keep it in place.

As with most dive gear there's not really a "best." For recreational diving you can expect any computer on the market including the less expensive ones to do the job just fine. So it really depends what features you want and how much you want to spend. I would suggest getting one that handles Nitrox, even if you don't use Nitrox now there's a good chance you will and they don't cost much more. And a Nitrox capable computer will probably have better resale value if you decide you want something else later (and don't want to keep it as a backup.) If you're trying to save money I'd skip air integration - new divers tend to get the idea it's an important thing to have, but it's really not - it's just nice for people that like it but nowhere near required. New divers also tend to think having a computer in a console is good so everything is in one place to look at. But many find once they have a little experience - because after awhile you won't need to look at your pressure nearly as often as you look at the other things, and there's no reason to do it at the same time - it's actually less convenient there and they'd rather it on their wrist.

If none of that makes sense yet, it's too soon to pick a computer - if you aren't certified yet as your profile says, I wouldn't buy a computer or anything else major until you are - stick to stuff like mask/snorkel/fins and maybe booties.

Where will you be diving? If you will be traveling to do tropical diving, and are only going to buy one thing now, I think a computer is a good place to start. They're so useful if you're doing multiple multilevel dives for lots of days in a row. But if you will be diving at home, I would consider starting with a BC and reg first - you will save a lot on rentals and diving will be much more pleasant in your own BC. Or possibly a suit if you're a hard to fit type. A computer would be nice, but for a lot of the local diving people start with (often a couple square profile dives on the weekend) it doesn't give much advantage over tables, especially for a new diver.

Back
Top Bottom