Computer on wrist or in console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it more convenient to have my reg, compass, computer, and SPG all as one unit.

Maybe it's my old age showing. Several times I've had buddies that had forgotten either their wrist mounted computer/bottom timer or their wrist mounted compass. If I'm breathing, then all of my instruments are along.

Just as most guys with instruments on their wrists don't seem to have a problem with having to reach down and unclip and SPG in order to read it, I don't have any problem glancing down to a console ocassionally to read my air, depth, runtime/deco status, and heading.

The only time I had the slightest desire for a wrist mounted compass was when doing a 20-25 minute transit from shore to a wreck swimming on a constant compass heading. Even then the console worked pretty good.

Wrist definately! (Left) I have my NiTek and my bottom timer attached on the same band so they're both right there for easy read...in fact, I prefer to wear them on the inside of my arm...I'm old and it 's easier than having to twist my arm and throw my elbow up to read...: )

the only reason to chose a console DC is to have a relatively cheap solution for air integration

I have a computer on each wrist. (Go figure, I like redundancy, but that's another thread. :biggrin:)
As opposed to looking at your wrist for Depth/time etc... then look at the spg for air, wouldn't it make more sense to have all that info in one place?
I will not dispute that having everything in one place is convenient, but the convenience of having your depth in front of you *far* outweighs it in the grand scheme of things, at least for certain types of diving.

If you're just diving on vacations in the clear, DM-guided waters of Cozumel, you can really go either way. On the other hand, if you're swimming a no-reference compass course at depth through murky water, keeping your depth in your field of view at all times (while working your compass and keeping your eyes peeled for the wreck, which should appear any minute now)... it's practically a necessity. Ascents, especially free ascents with minimal (or no) references and hovering stops can also place constant depth monitoring in the very high value bin.

As for your SPG, while you certainly should monitor it carefully -- running out of air being a keelhauling offense, at the minimum -- your SPG's readings do not change with anywhere near the same time constants as your depth (unless you've just blown an O-ring or an LP hose... or you breathe harder than the hooveriest diver I've ever seen). I may check my SPG a half dozen times during a "normal" dive (increasing that rate significantly if my perception of where the needle should be doesn't match reality), while I check my depth maybe even several times a minute on an unfamiliar site, wall dive, or other such occasion. (Of course, once it's time to ascend, I average about 3/4 of an eye on the computer at any given time.)

Anyway, long story short, for some types of diving, having nearly constant depth information is critical, so the computer on a wrist of the divers in those situations is certainly preferred. Air integration may be nice, but it's prohibitively expensive on wrist computers, so given the choice between wristing and integrating, wristing wins hands down (or up, or forward... whatever :D). For divers who don't dive in situations where instantaneous depth information is as necessary, console computers have some positives and some negatives, so then it's just a matter of preference.

I knew I could count on SB'ers for a wealth of info! Seems like the overriding majority feels wrist is the way to go. the adjusting buoyancy issue makes the biggest argument. FYI I'm just a rec diver but wanting to go technical in the future. You guys won me over. already pulled the puter out of the console.
Thanks All!

I knew I could count on SB'ers for a wealth of info! Seems like the overriding majority feels wrist is the way to go.
Just be aware that in outside of SB, consoles are much more prevalent. It's kind of like the BCD vs BP/W issue, where a reader of SB would assume that most divers use BP/W.

I'm not sure whether wrist mount is more common amongst SB posters, or if wrist-mount people are simply a very vocal minority.

Clayjar's post seems to be a pretty good summary of the issue. In most of my diving I can maintain reasonably constant depth without constant reference to the computer so a console works for me, as it does for most recreational divers.

FWIW my console is clipped to my cumberbund, all I have to do is look down to see it. I will be checking out the wrist action on my cayman trip next week.

As usual I'm late to the game... I agree with the majority of posts here. I personally dive with a computer and a bottom timer on my right wrist and forearm, twisted to face my eyes when I am swimming with my arms in front of me like superman. I have replaced the boots on both pieces of electronics with a Deep Sea Supply boot. These boots use two independent pieces of bungee cord. This means that I would have to have 4 failures to loose both timers. As a rule I don't look at my SPG that often, WAIT don't bash me yet... I make an honest attempt to track my air consumption, every 5 minutes "ok I started with XXXXpsi, I've been down for X minutes at XX' which is X ATA, my SGC is .X" do the math and "I should have XXXX psi left" I generally stay pretty damn close to reality when I do check the spg, so I am comfortable with it. That said, It only takes a second or two to reach down, unclip, bring spg up to face, reclip. THAT said, I usually just look down at the spg and don't even unclip. Looking at my depth on the other hand is done much more often.

Downfalls to computer on wrist. It is a separate piece of equipment which can be forgotten or lost. It is the last piece of gear I put on, after my gloves and the wrist straps can be a bit of a pain, but again Tobin specials... The main problem I have with gauges on my arm is getting into and out of my BC, They stand up off my arm and like to get caught in the webbing. Its nice to have the left arm caught on my shoulder dump and my right arm caught on my depth gauges...

I wear an AI computer on the right wrist and really like it there, but also have an SPG clipped at left hip. A small backup computer (Gekko) is usually in my pocket. A compass is on the left wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom