Computer instead of Dive Table?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK....what is NDL. I can guess it is Nitrogen something but I can't figure out the an acronym

dang, sorry... No Decompression Limit (a misnomer) (also, this is just
a construct; it doesn't really exist)

basically, it is the maximum time you can remain at a particular depth without
incurring mandatory decompression.

recreational diving is predicated on not exceeding your NDL at any given depth,
up to the 130 feet max depth limit

BlueBlur:
OK....what is NDL. I can guess it is Nitrogen something but I can't figure out the an acronym

Andy beat me to it! I guess I should use the refresh button more :11:

Damselfish:
This isn't a good assumption, especially doing a multilevel dive but following a table. Especially on repetitive dives. And sometimes even a new diver turns out to be a fish.

Good point about the multilevel and repetitive dives. I stand corrected.

blueblur,
welcome to this board.
you will find tons of useful info here.
y'all will have a blast in coz.
upon your safe return please drop us a trip report.
regards,

My advice is to learn the tables, on your own if necessary. Even if you buy a computer, you could end up out on a boat or in a remote area and have your battery die, for example. A computer is a great labor saving device, but you need to know the process behind those numbers. I've used computers for years, but I still go back to the table and calculate what my profile would look like without it, just to keep everything fresh.

BlueBlur:
My question is, is this OK? How readily available will dive computers be when we go diving elsewhere and have to rent equipement? We are going to Cozumel in Nov and hope to dive but will we be in a world of hurt if we aren't use to diving with tables? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the board! Although I usually plan my dives with a software programme (GAP - RGBM) to plan deep stops, descent and ascent rates, etc. During the dive I constantly monitor my Vyper wrist computer. I have a set of my dive tables and the dive plan packed away in my BC, just in case the computer fails. I am a firm believer in rundant systems which includes knowing the dive plan and using dive tables. Although rental gear is usually ok, you should plan for a failure so if it happens, you have an intelligent course of action to resolve the problem.

BlueBlur:
Hi all, I am new around here. After reading a lot of the content on this forum, I figure you all a great group to ask a question that has been bugging me. First let me apologize if this question has been beaten into the ground. I know how newbies can be on forums. :D (I did look for a thread adderssing this but coudn't find one)

My husband and I are in process of taking a SCUBA diving course wtih SDI. SDI teaches use of the dive computer and does not put much emphasis on the dive tables. We went over the tables, which I completely understand but there were a few in the class who are still clueless on the tables. The instructor was slightly concerned but the nonunderstanding of the dive tables it isn't hindering their progress through the class.

My question is, is this OK? How readily available will dive computers be when we go diving elsewhere and have to rent equipement? We are going to Cozumel in Nov and hope to dive but will we be in a world of hurt if we aren't use to diving with tables? Thanks for your help.

you'll be asked to show your cards or dive logs (hopefully). They will judge your experience and you'll probably go someplace that it will be next to impossible to go over NDL... you would run out of air before you hit NDL. In most cases they explicitly say "be back in 45 minutes". In Key Largo, they also ask you to surface halfway through and give the OK sign to the boat. So, either way - you are fine.

I do recommend buying a wrist mounted dive computer, it's a lot safer to be familiar with all the bells and whistles of your own computer than it is to relearn a new one every trip and they really take up very little space. You can even buy some that are so small you could wear them as your everyday watch.

I would recommend that you discuss alternative wrist attachment schemes with your local dive strore - some wrist mounted dive computer can pop their hinge and you would never realise it was gone until it's too late.

What op asks you to surface halfway through the dive, so I know not to use them?

BlueBlur:
Hi all, I am new around here. After reading a lot of the content on this forum, I figure you all a great group to ask a question that has been bugging me. First let me apologize if this question has been beaten into the ground. I know how newbies can be on forums. :D (I did look for a thread adderssing this but coudn't find one)

My husband and I are in process of taking a SCUBA diving course wtih SDI. SDI teaches use of the dive computer and does not put much emphasis on the dive tables. We went over the tables, which I completely understand but there were a few in the class who are still clueless on the tables. The instructor was slightly concerned but the nonunderstanding of the dive tables it isn't hindering their progress through the class.

There is nothing sacred about dive tables. Just as there is nothing sacred about dive computers either.

They are both teaching tools.

If you are learning with dive tables, then you will want to own your own copy. If you are learning with dive computers, then you will want your own computer.

In some locations, you can rent a dive computer, but not in all locations. Therefore you will want to check ahead before you go.

A really good instructor can teach you methods in which you would need neither a dive computer nor dive tables. But those instructors are hard to find. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom