Computer for Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, once again i need some questions answered on a computer. A while ago, i posted a thread on which computer to use for a rebreather. Right now as everyone know's.,im diving the Dolphin, ( SCR ) and using a HS Explorer PPo2 to moniter my PPo2. I then use my nitrox computer, and do the conversion on my Inspired gas, then setting my Nitrox computer to what i should be breathing in the loop.

I heard the Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer with the Oxy2 was just about the best to moniter everything while diving SCR. I also read the Oxy2 has 2 sensor's in it's housing, very nice, i like that it has double 02 sensor's.

My question is, why couldn't i turn the work load down to nothing on the Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer , and use it when i convert my Dolphin over to CCR?

I know the differences and prices between the VR3, and HS Explorer, Model O, both run about $1,800 with the CCR and tri-mix option.

MY question is, i may not convert, or buy a CCR rebreather for another year, so i tohught i would use the Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer and Oxy2 in SCR mode for a while, but can i use the same computer for CCR?

I don;t want to spend $1,800 for the Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer and Oxy2, and have to ebay it like the one that just ended and only get back alittle over $1000, if that's the case, i'll just go right into the Vr3 or HS Explorer, and just use the HS PPo2 for PPo2 monitering for now, any thought's?

I like the Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer, and the Oxy2 set up for SCR diving, im just trying to find out why it couldnt be used for CCR diving......thank's!!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a re-breather diver.

A friend has the VR3 for his mixed gas diving and loves it. Naturally a better version, in color with bigger fonts (I believe) came out right after he bought his :) He doesn't dive a re-breather but he's often mentioned what it can do with one and it seems like a lot. I'm not familiar with the others that you mention but that VR3 looks like it can do everything but the dishes if you have the right program for it, that's the choice I would make FWIW.
Ber

FLT, the short answer I can quote from Bubbleboy: "The computer will sh!t itself". :D

The detailed answer is in a letter from Uwatec available at Rebreathers Worldwide as a pdf file. Look further down the page for "Can the Aladin Air X O2 work with a CCR?". The X O2 was the predecessor of the Z O2, the problem remains the same.

That aside, you would need to machine an adapter for anything other than the Dräger (for which it was designed) and the Azi (for which an adapter is available).

For those two units, or any nitrox based SCR, the Z O2/Oxy2 combo is a neat solution.

For any rebreather the HS Explorer or DeltaP VR3 are better solutions because they offer considerably more, not the least of which are more up to date algorithms - DeltaP is planning to implement VPM-B one of these days, the Explorer gives you a choice of true RGBM and several Bühlmanns.
Which of the two computer/algorithms is better has been hotly debated, I'd be happy with either one.

Ber, the color screen and large letters are both options, the latter on the normal VR3, too. With a software upgrade you buddy should be able to use it, but he will lose some of the normal info on the front screen.

Thanks for the info Caveseeker I'll pass that on.
Ber

caveseeker7:
FLT, the short answer I can quote from Bubbleboy: "The computer will sh!t itself". :D

The detailed answer is in a letter from Uwatec available at Rebreathers Worldwide as a pdf file. Look further down the page for "Can the Aladin Air X O2 work with a CCR?". The X O2 was the predecessor of the Z O2, the problem remains the same.

That aside, you would need to machine an adapter for anything other than the Dräger (for which it was designed) and the Azi (for which an adapter is available).

For those two units, or any nitrox based SCR, the Z O2/Oxy2 combo is a neat solution.

For any rebreather the HS Explorer or DeltaP VR3 are better solutions because they offer considerably more, not the least of which are more up to date algorithms - DeltaP is planning to implement VPM-B one of these days, the Explorer gives you a choice of true RGBM and several Bühlmanns.
Which of the two computer/algorithms is better has been hotly debated, I'd be happy with either one.

Ber, the color screen and large letters are both options, the latter on the normal VR3, too. With a software upgrade you buddy should be able to use it, but he will lose some of the normal info on the front screen.

Got it, not even wasting my time anymore the the Oxy2, and Uwatec, just going for the VR3, i all ready made my descion :wink:

Now i just have to invest into a 3 sensor unit for metering PPo2 on the Dolphin, regardless of SCR or CCR, right now i use the Dolphin with the HS PPo2 metering, and to think, i didn't even know it just pluged into the inhale bag, i was going nut's looking on the web how to connect it.

One Q comes to mind, i read it's better for O2 sensor's to be about where the Oxy2 is located, rather then in the Inhale bag's, because on the Dolphin there is no water trap, so the bag's trap the water.

Isn't that a bad place for a O2 sensor? Or is that the norm for most rebreather's?

FLTEKDIVER:
... just going for the VR3, i all ready made my descion :wink:
They are distributed in the US by Tami Thomsen , very nice woman, say hello for me.

Now i just have to invest into a 3 sensor unit for metering PPo2 on the Dolphin, regardless of SCR or CCR ...
In stock SCR mode (including matching gases and orifices) a single O2 cell/monitor will be sufficient. The rebreather is designed to work without one in the first place, so using a monitor is already for situations when things don't go well.

... and to think, i didn't even know it just pluged into the inhale bag, i was going nut's looking on the web how to connect it.
Totally forgot you were asking about that, and apologize. I ment to tell you the big sectret. :wink:

One Q comes to mind, i read it's better for O2 sensor's to be about where the Oxy2 is located, rather then in the Inhale bag's, because on the Dolphin there is no water trap, so the bag's trap the water.

Isn't that a bad place for a O2 sensor? Or is that the norm for most rebreather's?
It's the norm for most home build CCR conversions, I guess, because it's a fairly simple way of going about it, and connectors are easily available.

The Oxy2 location is probably a better one, because it's a bit further down the loop and there have been an occasion or two where the P-plugs in the bags have caused commplete loop floods. I would rather have bags without them (don't know if those are still available).

TecMe in Germany will be your new best friend once you start to fiddle with your Dolphin. They offer a myriad of connectors and adapters for most everything you can think of.
DIN valves to Dräger regs, LP hose to dosing unit, adapter between exhalation bag and scrubber for O2 addition and single or tripple cell holders that sit in the same spot as the Oxy2. As well as an extension for the opposite side so your hoses end up at the same length. :D

And since all those goodies are not CE certified they're "for export only". :wink:

FLTEKDIVER:
Got it, not even wasting my time anymore the the Oxy2, and Uwatec, just going for the VR3, i all ready made my descion :wink:

Now i just have to invest into a 3 sensor unit for metering PPo2 on the Dolphin, regardless of SCR or CCR, right now i use the Dolphin with the HS PPo2 metering, and to think, i didn't even know it just pluged into the inhale bag, i was going nut's looking on the web how to connect it.

The Dolphin does have a water trap, actually 2 the exhale bag and the inlet of the cannister. The advantage of the oxy2 postioning is it gives you a reading of the gas as you inhale it. The disadvantage is it gives you a reading of the gas as you inhale it.
I have a HS Explorer sensor in the inhale bag and I have an oxy2 in the inhale hose. There is sometimes a big difference between the 2 readings especially when I am not breathing off it. Most modern O2 sensors have a hydrophobic membrane and will repell small amounts of moisture. If your inhale lung gets that wet you have bigger problems than a bad o2 sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom