Compu Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my question was a bit "off"...I just used the term "compu mask" as a generic term for any mask with HUD capabilities..as it was the first I saw when considering the option..

Likely, for my needs, I am better off just buying a good wrist mount computer with all the functions I need.

Didn't mean to open a can of worms..

It's time for me to drag out my write up of the surprising list of features "hands-free" diving that I've realized over the last year or so diving the DataMask/CompuMask. When BCs first hit the market - they were a gimmick and unnecessary - add octos and more recently, dive computers to that list as well. Is it for everyone? Surely not, but I can't jump up and down and scream loud enough that this is not about gee-whiz technology. Unfortunately, either until I figure out the magical marketing message - or you try it yourself - for a couple of dives, until you stop checking your gauges out of habit - perception is reality...

For an accurate list of features here's a comparision chart showing all the Oceanic compuers. It has features my ProPlusII doesn't have. Other than Buddy Pressure check and miltiple mixes and transmitters it does a little bit more than the flagship VT3 and Atom 2.0.

There's nothing primitive about it that I can see.

For those who don't need tri-mix and multiple transmitters what features are missing?????

The gee-whiz factor really does set it apart from the the competition. I imagine the competition is scrambling to come up with something like it. Time will tell.

Well then my LDS did not now the product very well because i had asked for the fetures of the mask and what you see on your chart is not what was explained to me. My understanding was air only,no tank pressure gauge,and only basic survival info display.

This little statement is on our web site - it came from a memo that I wrote to our sales reps after my first demo event - 5 days diving the mask - and for the first time, not focused on testing the optical placement or some other thing - I finally had a chance to just dive....

It seems ridiculous to explain to someone that looking at their watch or console takes so much effort that this mask is a great benefit - but after diving it, you quickly begin to realize just how much of a distraction monitoring your instruments actually is – and how liberating diving “hands-free” can be. Imagine driving down the freeway and having to reach down to locate a gauge to check your speed. Diving with the DataMask makes monitoring your dive data just as easy. Before you complete the thought “I wonder how much air I have?” or “How deep am I?” or “Am I ascending too fast?” – You have the answer – instantly. Imagine how enjoyable it is to complete an entire dive without taking your eyes off the reef, ever. Ascents are completely changed – you’ll see people ascend trying to manage their buoyancy and check their gauges with their left hand while their right is holding a line, assisting a buddy, shining a light on their gauge, or a combination of them all and appreciate your DataMask more than ever. Safety stops are a completely different experience - with the DataMask you’re perfectly able to observe your surroundings while seeing current depth and countdown time. For anyone that has downloaded their dives, you’ll find that regardless of buoyancy skills, most divers experience fairly significant depth and ascent rate fluctuations without ever knowing it. With the DataMask, these variations are instantly recognized, giving you an opportunity to correct them – ultimately providing much greater control and safety during the dive. And finally, you’ll enjoy the ability to easily monitor your air time remaining – and will see immediate benefits of reduced air consumption.

I gave my first official DataMask presentation at a dealer meeting in the UK - about a month before this demo trip. The focus, other than how the thing worked, was on how the technology was going to change everything - that diving with your computer in your line of site was the future. Quite honestly, I had a real hard time - because at that point I didn't believe it. I knew that it was amazing technology - I had been involved at some level from the initial concept of the product - and it is truly an incredible achievement. But, I didn't believe, deep down that it was going to change things. It took four days of diving - everything changed. There is a small segment of the market that is looking for a 1500 computer, regardless of what it does. Over time, the technology will become more accessible, and yes, like the BC, pressure gauge, octo, and computer, will become standard equipment for most. How long will it take? Who knows... but it will happen - I'd bet anything on it.

While I agree that an integrated computer display in your mask is the way of the future, I feel that the current products are still in early infancy and have a long way to go before I'll even consider getting one.

I'd say give it 5 years to become mainstream

In time it seems it will be the norm for mos divers.

I am tottally supprised that RJP didn't use the canned answer "this is just a solution looking for a problem".

Anyway, my only comment is that I have seen a lot of these Datamasks on the boat out to Catalina island off the California coast. Abet the guys carying them also appeared to have the finances to buy new gear every 12 to 24 months. It seems that they are selling and there are a lot of people out there that are willing to pay the $1500+ price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom