compressor tuning if there is such a thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

replaced the old pressure releif valve with a new one- pumping thehigher pressures much better - still not as fast as i would like it ( i think there is still something not perfect, or acting up) but pumping much better anyway - no air leaking from valve - i did notice when the cold compressor first comes on ( it is cold in NJ already) it pumps the high pressure (above 3500) very quickly, then slows down to a slows down - is this because the oil is thicker when cold and then it heats up and thins out - or am i again being uneducated lol

answers to both questions:

The shop manual for your compressor calls for the second stage pressure to be 500 to 580 PSI between 3000 and 4000 PSI delivery pressure. I wouldn't say that a 700 PSI safety is too low. The manual is very careful to tell you not to jack with the ASME safety valves. Next time, buy the LF safety valves and set it where you want. You have to be careful not to buy the safety valves from Grainger unless you know exactly the thread you are needing. Some of them are machined for BSP, some for a German thread, etc. Get the safety from a compressor place. You probably won't ever need to replace that one again anyway.

Cold air is denser (and therefore more easily compressed) than warm air. Oil temperature notwithstanding, you really want the feed air to your compressor to be as cold as possible all the time, both for dewpoint and compressibility. Lots of folks spend lots of money keeping their feed air as cold as they can get it with air dryers and such. Be happy and route your air intake outside. You never really want to suck your feed air from inside the building.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom