Compressor buying advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinLoos1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking into buying a compressor and need some advice.

I have 3 Al 80s, 2 sets of HP 100s, and 1 set of LP 108s. The current dive shop I use is most likely closing in a year or two. This leaves no shop within an hour distance to get fills. I’d like to be able to do nitrox fills.

What brand and/or type of compressor do you recommend? Buying the compressor is for convenience not to save money.

not enough information.

What's your total system budget? Do you have any fill equipment now or starting from scratch? Do you need it to be portable? Are you planning on stick blending? How many of those tanks are filled in each fill session? How quickly do those tanks need to be filled?

If you had to fill all of those at the end of the night, that's something like 550cf of gas, and you probably don't want to be filling for more than say 2 hours. 550/120=4-5cfm which is about as small as you'll find any compressor, but most of them aren't continuous duty rated so you'll have to stop between tanks for a few minutes to let it cool off. If you need them to be filled in an hour, then you're now talking a big boy pump.

Hi tbone, thanks for the reply. The compressor would be for personal use only. I have no compressor equipment currently. Budget is 5k. I would rarely need to fill them all in one night. I wouldn’t need them
filled quickly, I could be doing other household projects while filling.

Fits your budget and purpose. I don’t know anyone that’s unhappy with their Bauer - including me.

I would have him switch it back to electric first. And if you want to "do other projects" this won’t work. Would add quite a lot of cost for auto drain and shutoff, and likely blow your budget unless you get a lower priced brand.

Hi tbone, thanks for the reply. The compressor would be for personal use only. I have no compressor equipment currently. Budget is 5k. I would rarely need to fill them all in one night. I wouldn’t need them
filled quickly, I could be doing other household projects while filling.
Total budget of $5k is tight for a new compressor with mix stick and whips, but it's possible. I'd look at that Bauer linked above, it's a good pump.

Your profile says you are in Detroit? Maybe you should stop by sometime. I have 4-5 compressors on hand that would suit your needs. Or I could at least guide you towards something that will.

Looking into buying a compressor and need some advice.
My guess is being offered a 18 year old Bauer Jn II for $4500 from the get go is not the sort of advise you were looking for. Start with the actual compressor manufacturers directly first, consider and compare new and get information in writing from the compressor manufacturer not verbal from a dive shop sales employee.

Get from the compressor manufacturer of your final choice if the compressor model is suitable for the percentage of nitrox you wish to compress. Failing that read the label or manual for the words Nitrox and a maximum percentage they were tested to above that you wish to mix so for example a 40% mix you need it tested to 60% and so on.

Next get from the compressor manufacturer of choice get a current dated 2021/22 spares price list
for general maintenance parts such as pistons piston rings, valves, heads and liners this will also help you understand the foolishness off considering an 18 year old pump at $4500

Only then look around with the second hand car dealer types of scuba compressors of miscellaneous scrap and junk and ex government liquidation $500 busted pumps bought at auction and now selling for $4000 after a respray and a new filter. If nothing else for a good education in what not to do with your $5000 budget. Some may disagree.

Thank you for all the helpful information, this is insightful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom