Compressor Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yipiekaya

Reaction score
WIll be closing on my place in miami beach in 30 days, with my boat behind th ehouse, i want to get a compressor so idont waste my life going to a dive shop refilling tanks,,,, i want to buy a quality setup,..any one have advice where to look and what manufacturers,,,,,

I have a RIX SA-6 set up to continuous blend Nitrox (as well as trimix.) I have over 200 hours on the same set of rings and it is still pumping at the same rate. At this point I have more than paid off the compressor, O2 and Helium analyzers, bank cylinders, blender manifold and O2/He supply cylinders. If you want to do nitrox I recommend the RIX.

But it is the convenience factor tha prompted me to put in the system in the first place. Being able to go out to my garage and top off a nitrox cylinder in just a few minutes from the bank is sweet!

may i ask how long you have had it,,years, and what the cost is, is there a web page ling you can suggestm,, ,,for me its not the cost its conveinence of not having to drive ,and hump tanks,,,, time is money to me,,...

Uncle Pug:
I have a RIX SA-6 set up to continuous blend Nitrox (as well as trimix.) I have over 200 hours on the same set of rings and it is still pumping at the same rate. At this point I have more than paid off the compressor, O2 and Helium analyzers, bank cylinders, blender manifold and O2/He supply cylinders. If you want to do nitrox I recommend the RIX.

But it is the convenience factor tha prompted me to put in the system in the first place. Being able to go out to my garage and top off a nitrox cylinder in just a few minutes from the bank is sweet!

I've had it in service for four years. I purchased it used with only 18 hours on it from Airpower. Masterline in Seattle has had used ones in the past and RIX SA3 and SA6 show up on ebay from time to time.

If money is no object then you could buy a new one from RIX.

SA6 new will run close to $7K but they can be had surplus military/used for <$2K. Figure $3K~$3.5K for a re-built one without any candy.

sounds like a used one will be what i need to look for, maybe with th4e hurricanes hitting florida and such ,, after last year a few dive shops closed in the keys,.. will have to see what happens this season,,,,. ,,thanks for the info,,.... i just hate going two to three times a week to a dive shop im not one for waiting,,,,,,have a great weekend

Uncle Pug:
SA6 new will run close to $7K but they can be had surplus military/used for <$2K. Figure $3K~$3.5K for a re-built one without any candy.

My little rebuilt SA3 with less than a couple hours since the professional rebuild was $1200 from a local guy. I just bought a used 33" moisture filter stack for $250 plus shipping (about $50).

I'll need to make or buy a few more parts but ultimately I want to continuous blend Nitrox and Trimix. So far, I'm very pleased with this little unit :D

yipiekaya:
sounds like a used one will be what i need to look for, maybe with th4e hurricanes hitting florida and such ,, after last year a few dive shops closed in the keys,.. will have to see what happens this season,,,,. ,,thanks for the info,,.... i just hate going two to three times a week to a dive shop im not one for waiting,,,,,,have a great weekend

Just don't buy one from a dive shop that was "submerged" in water. I know that a couple of the dive shops on the Panhandle had 3+ feet of water in their shop. I gotta a feeling it's hard to clean the saltwater corrosion out of a compressor

Back
Top Bottom