Completing my Naui closed water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BekkaT

New
Reaction score
I am finishing up a NAUI closed water diving June 2nd. I am thinking about doing my open water certification in Cozumel. I told my NAUI instructor this and he doesnt recommend it. I will be going in September, so a wait of 3 months before completing my open water dives in Cozumel. Is there any drawbacks to doing this on vacation? It is cheaper 220 versus my NAUI instructor wanting an additional 325.00 after i already paid 200.00 for the closed water diving. I know i could have gotten my training cheaper if I drove out of town, but this was offered in my town. any thoughts?

It is certainly less than ideal to wait that long, however it may be worth negotiating with the instructor. If he can combine multiple students on that OW trip it may make it a lot less expensive. That said if it includes all gear rental, it may be worth it to have it out of the way so you can do fun diving while in Coz

Unless you have a good referral to a specific instructor in Cozumel, do you know what you'll be getting? I also wouldn't really want to waste a couple of days of my vacation doing checkouts when you can get checked out before, and get right to the fun diving when you get to Cozumel.

Price is really not what you want to use to decide your training options -- it's all about the instructor, and how they run the program.

You don't mention where you'd be doing your checkout dives if you stick with your current instructor. If it's something other than warm, clear water, you will be that much more ahead when you do get to warm, clear water, and you'll have the experience of doing 'local' diving to you, and be more likely to continue diving locally. Diving locally, and diving more than just when you're on vacation will make you a better diver in the long run, vs just being something you do while away once or maybe twice a year on vacation.

Thank you for your feedback. I just really don't trust my instructor to perform my open water dives in cloudy cold water with him. He doesn't explain things very good. Just says watch me. Well I'm trying to watch everything he is doing under the water but I miss something and he is not very supportive. I'm actually thinking of just going through a padi program. He doesn't teach us how to dive properly. Focus mainly on emergency issues while diving. I want to know all of that also but first teach me how I should be ascending and descending and buoyancy. When we have had problems with our buoyancy he just ignores us. I have read the whole Naui book and he is not teaching us everything I think we should know. I have been studying for the test and he says we can take the test home. Is that normal?

Than
that is not normal, and I would consider reporting him to NAUI and whatever shop he's working for if you feel that he is not providing an adequate class
thank you for your feedback. I think I should go with my gut feeling and take another course somewhere else. He is a private trainer. He is over 70 years old and doesn't make it fun at all. Maybe it's not meant to be fun while learning. But I couldn't see how he was pulling a cord in the BC to deflate because he made us watch him under water. I couldn't get it. He came up to me and grabbed me and got upset that I didn't get it. I know age doesn't have anything to do with it. But sometimes I think he assumes too much that we understand.

This instructor concerns me. If he's not training your properly then I would get out of there and find someone who will. The skills you first learn as an open water diver are the fundamentals of everything that comes after them. If he can't or won't teach you the things you need in order to be a safe diver and buddy then you need to find someone else. Not just for your safety but the safety of those around you as well.

As per tbone - I would also recommend reporting him and/or shop to NAUI. The way he is teaching you does not create capable safe divers. It creates divers who are a nervous wreck and a danger to themselves and those around them.

Good Luck. I hope you get the training you need - diving is so much fun when you are not stressed.

Back
Top Bottom