Completing certification dives in Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was in Australia 20 years ago. Never had to show a "australian standard" medical certification. I was diving, at that time with Mike Ball cruise and stayed one week on Heron Island.

That is similar to the RSTC form. If we have a medical condition requiring a YES on the form, can we bring with us the standard RSTC waiver signed by our home doctor, or do we have to have a new one done there by someone we have never met before?

The form is pretty much the same, as PADI Asia Pacific trying to standardize now. Used to have to get a dive medical to Australian Standards now its just the form. BUT... if you do check "yes" then the approval to dive has to come from a qualified hyperbaric doctor. Apparently it can be from overseas if the same form (you can get it from the PADI site and it is the same as the older RSTC form) however it is only valid for 90 days.

So you are saying that the form that I have signed by my personal physician will not work. How do they know if my GP in Colorado is or is not qualified? If I have to get it done in Australia, how do I go about doing this?

How do they know if my GP in Colorado is or is not qualified?

They don't!- but if something happened to you requiring insurance, you can bet your best asset that it would provide the "technicality" to null and void your travel/dive insurance and possibly the legal responsibility of the dive operator.
Remember the people who write these regulations are vested/from to the legal industry- what is just and fair is of only secondary consideration, the $$$ their fraternity/covey make is their primary motive and they are absolutely sleazy about it!
Here a judge was called "Your Worship" up till 2007.

Your going to love(sarcasm) the federal, state and local government regulations you hear about on your trip- many of which contravene anti-competition laws implemented in the USA.
Take a look at how Australian copyright laws are used to protect import monopolies, it will shock any American!

If I have to get it done in Australia, how do I go about doing this?

If you do it in Cairns (and this would be true for most places with a strong tourist area) pretty much all the doctors are hyperbarically trained and therefore can sign of on the medical.
If you do need to get a medical done then you simply book in (or locally here there is a 24 hour medical center so no booking required) and ask for one. It takes about 30 mins and costs $65.
All the medical centers here made quite a decent living off of running medicals for the dive schools so most can do it.

Just ask your GP if they can do it where you live. They will know and if not I am sure they can recommend someone.

Back
Top Bottom