Completely Confused!! Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MP928

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody,

I'll try and make this as brief as possible! I just got OW certified a few weeks ago and AOW certified this past weekend. I have already spent alot of money on rental gear and have been urged to buy my own.

I have been doing a lot of research about the different manufacturers, and thought that my mind was pretty set, going with a Sherwood Avid BC and a Sherwood Maximus Reg. I went to a LDS the other day to see the gear and try it, and the man pretty much did everything he could to talk me into buying a back inflate BC (He was recommending the SeaQuest Balance). He said that I'd hate it for the first couple dives, but that I will love it after that, and that if I buy a jacket style BC, I would regret it in the long run.

Also, He said that the Maximus is a great reg, but he said that it is rather difficult breathing through, and that I would be much better off with an Apexs 20. He said he has an Apeks 20 with a cold water kit, and he said he has been to 200ft with no trouble breathing.

Should I go with a back inflate? I was looking at Sherwood's Axis and Tortuga. Any recommendations between the two, and the Avid? Also, is an Apeks the way to go over a Maximus? I was also looking at the SR1. How would that compare to an Apeks20.

I'll be diving around the Long Island area with hopefully a good amount of wreck diving, and also will be doing some Caribbean diving once to twice a year.

I know that's alot, but ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks very much in advance!!!

Ask to try out the gear he's recommending. Then you can decide for yourself.

You'll get dozens of opinions on any piece of gear you ask about but the bottom line is how YOU like the gear- not us.

Good luck with the decision!

:D

I'm with TC.
The "BEST" gear is what YOU like. See if you can test dive it.
If your going cold and then warm water diving you should be able to adjust the fit..and make sure you'll have enough lift for those thick wetsuits (drysuits).

It sounds like you went to an AquaLung approve LDS. Apek are nice rigs, but you can get a good cold water reg right out the box without need a cold water kit and save some money. The SR1 is a very new reg, really the first new reg from sherwood brand in a while. It seems to be a good reg. The first stage looks like a redesign genesis gs2000, which is another one of sherwood's brands. It is environmentally seal which is important for cold water. The 2nd stage is balance it is nice, but not really necessary. But given the advances in reg, I would go with the SR1 if you want a sherwood, but you will not find to much info on it because it just came out.

I am not a fan of the back inflate, I do like the way a jacket keeps me straight on the surface. The Avid is a nice jacket BC. If you want the best of both world the Tortuga is a hybred.

I would shop around before choosing. The oceanic Delta 4 is a great cold water reg right out the box. And the new Oceanic Eos seems to be a good breather and I pretty sure it is a cold water reg also.

I would check out the online retailer if you are sure what you want. You can save some money.

PS, if you are in the NYC area. I would take a trip to Leisurepro. They call pretty much everything and you can check all the brands under on roof.

MP,
A dealer who recommends an Apeks 20 for Long Island diving is trying to get rid of an Apeks 20. It is a fine reg, but definitely is not a cold water reg. Yes, a cold water kit could be added, but Apeks parts are very expensive to buy seperately. You have to remove the existing diaphragm cap, and add a hydrostatic transmitter, a different cap, and a few small parts. Then, the US 4 (unsealed) first stage becomes a DS4 (sealed) first stage. Unless he is going to do the conversion (not forgetting the heat sink at the second stage hose connection) at no charge, it would be better to buy either an XTX 40 (no adjustment knob), or an XTX 50 (w/adjustment knob) which are both already set up for cold water diving.

The SR 1 is relatively new, and will probably prove to be a very good reg, but personally, I would wait until it establishes a track record. Apeks, otoh, has been around for quite a while, and is very highly thought of.

IMO Sherwood BC's are very underrated. They are actually of quite high quality. I have dived the Avid, Axis, and the Tortuga. Of the 3, I prefer the Tortuga, but a BC is a very personal item and fit and comfort are of primary importance. It is one item that, if possible, you should try before buying.

Hey everybody,

I'll try and make this as brief as possible! I just got OW certified a few weeks ago and AOW certified this past weekend. I have already spent alot of money on rental gear and have been urged to buy my own.

I have been doing a lot of research about the different manufacturers, and thought that my mind was pretty set, going with a Sherwood Avid BC and a Sherwood Maximus Reg. I went to a LDS the other day to see the gear and try it, and the man pretty much did everything he could to talk me into buying a back inflate BC (He was recommending the SeaQuest Balance). He said that I'd hate it for the first couple dives, but that I will love it after that, and that if I buy a jacket style BC, I would regret it in the long run.

Also, He said that the Maximus is a great reg, but he said that it is rather difficult breathing through, and that I would be much better off with an Apexs 20. He said he has an Apeks 20 with a cold water kit, and he said he has been to 200ft with no trouble breathing.

Should I go with a back inflate? I was looking at Sherwood's Axis and Tortuga. Any recommendations between the two, and the Avid? Also, is an Apeks the way to go over a Maximus? I was also looking at the SR1. How would that compare to an Apeks20.

I'll be diving around the Long Island area with hopefully a good amount of wreck diving, and also will be doing some Caribbean diving once to twice a year.

I know that's alot, but ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks very much in advance!!!

If you are going to be doing northeast wreck diving that stuff you just listed off is not what they use. You better find out what the locals use for that diving and what the charter boats require.

If your really getting that stuff for vacation trips to warm water then all of that stuff sounds bulky and heavy to me.

Essentially, there is no answer to your question because you don't really have a question.

N

Looks like you are in the exact same place i was a few months ago when I finished my AOW class. I live and dive in the same area that you do. (Long Island, New Jersey, PA).

After literally talking to everyone I possibly could and trying out as much as I could - Here is what I came up with. This is what I just purchased and is based on very good recommendations from lots of people and sources. I have almost no in water testing with it yet. I'll update you when I try it.

This is my list of can't go wrong items I received from other people and through lots of research.

Northeast Dive Kit.

Apeks xtx50 DIN with xtx50 Octo

This reg is a cold water reg from the get go - Got DIN because it seems more versatile and is fairly easy to convert to yoke with an adapter whenever you need to. The first stage comes in two variations. I got the the one with the two high pressure ports.

Dive Rite Transpac Harness

This harness is a cross between an all in one back inflate BCD and and tech Harness backplate configuration. You can change the wings for different types of diving. I haven't decided on a specific wing yet. I plan on borrowing some different ones from friends to make the final decision. leaning towards the rec wings for northeast diving and the travel for warm water.

Computer and Gauges

Suunto Vytec computer and Apeks standard brass gauge. The Vytec computer is likely overkill for a new diver like me but aqualung is giving $200 off till the end of July if if you recently took a class. I've never heard or found anything bad said about this computer and trust me I looked. The deal from Suunto is only for the Cobra and Vytec otherwise I likely would have gotten a Vyper.

Anyway that is what I came up with. I just ordered this stuff so I have no in water experience with it. I'm sure others will way in with much better information.

Hang in there. Spending all that money on your first set of gear really puts a lot of pressure on you to get it right. I'm not 100 percent sure I made all the right decisions but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy once I get in the water and not regret those purchases.

The maximus and the apeks regs are both great. If they are tuned properly, there's no way you'll notice a difference in breathing. By the time you're ready to go to 200ft you'll have bought several high quality regs. As for the BC, if your LDS allows you to take it out for a spin, do it. That's the only way to know because it's such a personal choice for comfort and trim. There are no shops in my area that offer this service so I'm not sure how practical that is. You'll be able to dive with whatever you buy and nobody on the internet or in a shop can tell you what you will like better. You just have to make a choice and see.

I dive regularly with my Balance bc. I have had my balance bc for about 1.5 years and have not dove my old bc at all sense I got it. It is a very nice bc. My only experience with the Sherwood bc is the AVID. The weight pockets are hard to put back in during open water classes (skill portion), because the click is inside the pocket. Once my students get done with that skill in class they like that bc. In the long run, you will find the majority of experienced divers do NOT dive with jacket style BCs and use a rear inflation BC. So think long run here. Get something you will not have to replace as your experience grows.

I used to dive with my Sherwood maximus regulator. I always thought it breathed nicely, then I purchased an Aqua Lung Legend regulator. I still liked my Maximus but the Legend was better. Just last week, I had the opportunity to dive again with my maximus regulator for one dive when my Legend was in the shop for its annual service. What a difference, the maximus breather harder than the Legend (Yes, the maximus was serviced recently). I KNEW the Legend was suppose to breath better than the Maximus, but WOW. I still like my Sherwood Maximus regulator, but I am now 100% sure it is my backup regulator.

Just my $0.02.

Marc
Padi Instructor

Back
Top Bottom