Complaints about losing old likes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this is an error I have received quite a few times today:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/zephyr/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php(4715) : eval()'d code on line 1 Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/zephyr/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php(4715) : eval()'d code on line 1 Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in

The second line is repeated a bunch of times.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 12:58 PM ----------

I didn't realize the thread had been split...

I didn't notice this at first. All I can say is WTF? I received a lot of requests for articles as a result of posts of mine that people liked. In a number of cases that also resulted in sales of my book, gear, and training. Had it not been for those I am sure a number of people would not have become customers and friends.

NICE FRIGGIN UPDATE. :fail:

Kinda like when car companies started putting those cheap ass donuts in the trunk instead of full size spares and charged more. I received no notice that this was going to happen. As a paid business supporter I would think there would have been some courtesy extended and an opinion sought on this. I'll have to remember this the next time my subscription renewal comes up.

I see the value in spending more time on Facebook and Linked In. I know to expect bullshiite on Facebook and factor that in when posting. Linked In is pretty good about communicating changes. Likes lost, posts lost, posts removed because someone got their knickers twisted. No notification of changes that may affect the business of advertisers. Not good PR.

I have also noticed the site seems much slower than a few days ago. And it's not my computer. Everything else is fine

I am sure I will adapt, but I already see that one feature of the Like (and before that the Thanks) button will be missed. With both of those buttons as they were I could quickly review the Notifications to judge response to specific posts.

While there is still a "count" of the new Likes and Thanks buttons, it appears to me that in order to review which posts have been Liked, or Thanked I will have to actually open each and every notification. That is NOT gonna happen on any regular basis when I have limited time online.

If there is a way to do a quick review I would like to know it.

As far as it goes, it's interesting to see that we again have a Thanks button, but only time and experience will tell if this new set up will be useful.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 06:08 PM ----------

I did just accidentally discover a twist to the new buttons.

apparently I "DO not have permission to undo..." the either the Like or Thanks button if I choose to correct an accidental "click"

:hm:

I didn't notice this at first. All I can say is WTF? I received a lot of requests for articles as a result of posts of mine that people liked. In a number of cases that also resulted in sales of my book, gear, and training. Had it not been for those I am sure a number of people would not have become customers and friends.

NICE FRIGGIN UPDATE. :fail:

It may not have been the likes that got you business, it may have been your warm fuzzy online personality.:D

Bob

In case anyone has not seen the reason the &#8220;likes&#8221; were lost:

This thread originally was titled: Where did Likes go and Why am I getting 404 Errors?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/499439-am-getting-404-errors.html#post7318465

&#8230; For the likes... unfortunately, they were part of the old plugin which is horribly outdated, the company who made it is out of business, and was a security vulnerability for ScubaBoard&#8230;

Hey Jim! Want yer money back? The line starts right behind me!

This situation does point out how we humans become used to how our world works and any sudden unexpected change can throw us for a loop.

We will adapt (well most of us...).

Cheers...

P.S. I also thought the email notifications went wonky but I am likely wrong. Any change to a routine causes us to examine everything in minute detail and then suddenly remember to b*tch about every little thing.

Can we at least, like....combine the likes and thanks into the same postbox of the poster who's receiving them?
This is just an ugly format and makes for a good headache trying to read long threads.

This seems strange. As I recall somewhere there was a listing of likes that each member accrued. I don't remember where we would see it, but I remember seeing it. I thought it was a valuable tool for a variety of reasons.

So my understand that those "points' or "history" has all been erased? Why? A version update, a hack ?

I see a new format of likes now...Do they accrue again like before? It seems strange that the management would deliberately erase all likes and then immediately re-start them, unless there was a problem that was unavoidable?

I don't remember where we would see it, but I remember seeing it.
It's a tab in My Profile - "Post Thanks/Likes".
So my understand that those "points' or "history" has all been erased? Why? A version update, a hack ?

I see a new format of likes now...Do they accrue again like before? It seems strange that the management would deliberately erase all likes and then immediately re-start them, unless there was a problem that was unavoidable?
Shortened from Howard's original post in Site Support:

For the likes... unfortunately, they were part of the old plugin which is horribly outdated, the company who made it is out of business, and was a security vulnerability for ScubaBoard.

Most updates I've seen don't keep the old history - or can't properly display it. When we switched from the original thanks to likes I'm pretty sure it occurred then also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom