Complacency and the need to be on guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember the exact numbers (which won't stop me from posting, either) but I recall some recent DAN stats that said most deaths to rec divers occur to those below 50 dives and those over 200 (something like that). Also, most are middle aged men, but that could be health related.

I recall the lastest DAN statistic reported in the most recent Alert Diver that 70% of fatalities involving divers over the age of 40., My wife looked at me kind of funny after reading that (she's well under 40, I ain't). A good reason to hit the joggin trail.

Also, the article said that something like 80% are within recreational diving depths.

DivePartner1:
I recall the lastest DAN statistic reported in the most recent
Alert Diver that 70% of fatalities involving divers over the age of 40

dang... only 1 year, 6 months, 5 days until i become a danger to myself...

thanks for the good news, dude

:wink:

hey... a thought(?) if you are over 40, but ALWAYS dive below 130 feet, then
your chances of dying are not as high, right???

dang... now i have to figure out a way to zip right down to 130 and then zip
right up to the surface, so as to avoid the danger zone.

Capt. Morgan:
. . . A diver did an improper giant stride, lost his reg, took a big gulp of seawater and bolted to the top where the boat almost landed on his head.

I realized that I didn't know what to do in that situation. And, then in Cozumel I saw a diver panic at about 120ft and didn't know what to do.

Thus, I signed up for a Rescue Diver course since I realized I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

YES! I'd like to revise my previous answer and say that whatever number of dives someone makes before taking their Rescue class is the danger zone. And all the dives they make after Rescue class if the light didn't come on while they took that class :wink:

An additional note on the "seasoned vets" complacency. Yes, some of them do develop it. BUT, some of them also develop a level of proficiency that allows them to make their own gear check and buddy checks while gearing up in a manner that many newbies would not notice. Don't be sure that because they don't stand on the platform and do "BigWhiteRabbitsAreFluffy" in a conspicuous manner that they have not checked all their gear and their buddy's as well.

theskull

theskull:
An additional note on the "seasoned vets" complacency. Yes, some of them do develop it. BUT, some of them also develop a level of proficiency that allows them to make their own gear check and buddy checks while gearing up in a manner that many newbies would not notice. Don't be sure that because they don't stand on the platform and do "BigWhiteRabbitsAreFluffy" in a conspicuous manner that they have not checked all their gear and their buddy's as well.

I wish a few of the "leaders" would lead by example by at least breathing in their regs to see if their air is turned on... "BigWhitRabbitAreFluffy" put aside....

Capt. Morgan:
Today, I was working out at the Y with a pilot friend of mine and he agreed with the other pilot that made the statement that 200-500 hours of p.i.c. are the most dangerous time for complacency because of the aforementioned Indiana Jones mentality.

In that flying experience-range, I was hanging out in exotic jungle-paradise locations, meeting strange and exotic people.......
who were generally trying to kill me! (I don't think it was personal, however. :11: )

It wasn't an Indiana Jones thing, really. It was more of a......
"Captain, your orders are to....!"

"Asi es la vida!", as we say in the Republic of Tejas. :eyebrow:

----------------------------------------------------------

BJD "C'est la bloody guerre, non?" as the Brits are wont to say!

mrobinson:
I wish a few of the "leaders" would lead by example by at least breathing in their regs to see if their air is turned on.......
WHILE LOOKING AT THE SPG! I had that reinforced a couple days ago on a boat dive.

The tank valve had some pretty stiff resistance about 1/2 or 3/4 turn from fully closed. I had charged my system and turned it off to test for leaks. A crew member saw the pressure, thought it was on, and checked by opening a partial turn until he felt the resistance and figured it was hitting the full open stop. He then backed it off a partial turn. I donned my gear, and as usual reached back and checked to ensure that the valve was fully opened. Just like the crew member, I felt the valve binding and assumed it was hitting the full open stop.

Only when I test breathed my reg while watching the SPG did the problem become apparent. I couldn't feel anything funny when breathing it, but the SPG would drop 100 psi with a sharp inhale.

If I hadn't resolved the problem topside it may have caused problems at depth.

----------------

As to the main topic of the thread, I figure diving is just like driving -- it doesn't matter how long you have been diving or driving, it only takes a few moments of inattention to cause big problems.

Charlie

p.s. Big White Rabitts Are Fluffy didn't work for me, so I invented the hokey mnemomic of "My Friends A-a-are Way C-cool". Mask, Fins, Air-main reg while checking SPG, Air-octo, Air-BCD, Weights, Computer- on, right mix, NDL review, Camera -- don't forget it.

BigJetDriver69:
In that flying experience-range, I was hanging out in exotic jungle-paradise locations, meeting strange and exotic people.......
who were generally trying to kill me! (I don't think it was personal, however. :11: )

It wasn't an Indiana Jones thing, really. It was more of a......
"Captain, your orders are to....!"

"Asi es la vida!", as we say in the Republic of Tejas. :eyebrow:

----------------------------------------------------------

BJD "C'est la bloody guerre, non?" as the Brits are wont to say!

BigJetDriver:

The best pilot I know to this day (although he's retired now) was a pilot that started out bouncing helicopters off the ground in 'Nam. He was my best friend's dad growing up and he wouldn't let us go flying with any other that either didnt have 1000's of hours as p.i.c or he knew personally (which meant he had 1000's of hours anyway).

Not only did he exercise exterme caution in his flying career but it carried over to every aspect of his life. He was the safest person I knew with EVERYTHING, but also did some of the most adventerous things.

When we were 10 he built us mini-bikes to ride. But, before we were allowed to ride we had to go through about 6 weeks of training to his satisfaction before he set us loose on the neighborhood with our mini-bikes.

There is a lot to be said to learning in the fashion you and he did BJT. And, also in teachin us in in that way.

He used to always tell us to check our "Jesus" bolts when we were on the wild. It wasn't for a couple of years before we asked what a "Jesus" bolt was and we realized he was talking in metaphors with us. (The jesus bolt(s) are the bolts that keep the blades on; he said, if those broke you took on the aerodynamics of a **********ing footlocker). In hindshight, when he told us to check of "Jesus" bolt, I didn't realize how close to eminent death from him we were.

Lesson: always check your "Jesus" nuts and know what one is doing.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom