Compatibility of Oceanic first stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regarding compatibility of Oceanic first stage regulators with other manufacturers second stage reg’s.

The reason I started pondering this was my decision the reconfigure my hoses and use “tech-preferred” setup in which a primary second stage would use a 5’ hose and secondary would be on a 22” one.

I just learned from my LDS that my current second stage (Oceanic Delta 4) although an outstanding regulator cannot be used with any other, but Oceanic hoses due to a proprietary connection at the 2nd stage and the swivel. So to reconfigure my hose setup a brand name Oceanic hose would have to be used which is about 2.5 times more expensive than a 5’ OMS hose for example. With that, I started exercising an option to use a different maker’s 2nd stage with the Oceanic 1st stage as a primary.

First thing first: Fit. I have Poseidon Extreme Dive second stage reg in mind as a replacement for my Delta 4 second stage. Would Poseidon Second stage work with the Oceanic FDX10 first?
Secondly: Warranty. Would addition of a Poseidon second stage to my FDX10 first stage regulator void my warranty? I am still planning to utilize my Delta 4 second as secondary regulator on a shorter hose.

Thanks

As far as I know, you can remove the swivel from the Delta 4 2nd and use a standard hose on it -- but you might want to check with Oceanic on that to be 100%

First thing first: Fit. I have Poseidon Extreme Dive second stage reg in mind as a replacement for my Delta 4 second stage. Would Poseidon Second stage work with the Oceanic FDX10 first?

No problems, the IP's of the first/second stages are almost identical (within operating specs for both) and so are the hose connections. I actually have a set-up where I use an Apeks ATX100 first stage with 2 Poseidon Jetstream second stages and they work flawlessly

Secondly: Warranty. Would addition of a Poseidon second stage to my FDX10 first stage regulator void my warranty? I am still planning to utilize my Delta 4 second as secondary regulator on a shorter hose.

Warranty should not be void, and if you do need to service it and you feel that the tech might look at you funny, just remove the non Oceanic parts before you take it in for service. Warranty is only void if you modify the actual compnents and not by adding other gear to it (how would you connect computers to it then?)

I did it. There's a thread out here offered by Cerich that tells you exactly how to do it. Go to the Oceanic forum. if there is one? It was easy.

Tamas:
As far as I know, you can remove the swivel from the Delta 4 2nd and use a standard hose on it -- but you might want to check with Oceanic on that to be 100%
Well apparently its not the case, my LDS has been working with oceanic stuff for the longest time, and from what I understand his tech tried to to see if he could outfit the Delta 4 with an OMS hose, no luck. If fact, they are telling me, that for a generic hose to fit the D4 an adapter has to be used. Nevertheless, my LDS just wouldn’t accept the implied a liability for using a generic adapter on a brand name reg. I wouldn’t either to be honest.

Tamas:
No problems, the IP's of the first/second stages are almost identical and so are the hose connections. I actually have a set-up where I use an Apeks ATX100 first stage with 2 Poseidon Jetstream second stages and they work flawlessly
Oh, at least some good news

Tamas:
Warranty should not be void, and if you do need to service it and you feel that the tech might look at you funny, just remove the non Oceanic parts before you take it in for service.
I have always been a big supporter of the “Need to Know” approach to distribution of information. :eyebrow:

Here in the Northeast, however, people a are bit uptight about the equipment you use, and for a good reason. Here we deal with a bit of a harsher conditions than Caribbean divers, for example (Please don’t get me wrong, I am not pretending to look down upon anyone its just a fact of life) so this has gotten hammered into my brain: My equipment must be either perfect or I just stay on the surface. This doesn’t really mean specific manufacturers must be used, no! It’s more about the working condition and maintenance of each piece of you gear

Thanks!

HarveyO:
I did it. There's a thread out here offered by Cerich that tells you exactly how to do it. Go to the Oceanic forum. if there is one? It was easy.
Oh, thats nice.

Why dont' you share it with everyone. :confused:

cerich:
By the way, Doug the guy with the Oceanic avatar that answered your same question in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=172656&highlight=delta+4 He is the one of the very top guys for Oceanic/Aeris, I promise you that his word on what you can do with an Oceanic reg is accurate over what a shop may think.:D
In a way yes he did answer it. But my bad i didnt see the reference to your previous post about retrofitting D4 with the parts from Alpha 8. Would this void the warranty?

call oceanic at 510-562-0500 and ask for Doug Krause. He can clear all up for you.

Best,

Chris

cerich:
call oceanic at 510-562-0500 and ask for Doug Krause. He can clear all up for you.

Best,

Chris

Thanks Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom