compatibility of ikelite aq/s strobe w/ oly3000z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luigias

New
Reaction score
I just bought an olympus pt-010 casing for my Oly 3000Zoom cam. Before this, I use an Ikelite Aquashot 3e with a Ikelite aq/a strobe. My question is: Can I use the Ikelite aquashot aq/s strobe for the pt-010 and 3000z camera? I tried playing around with it and I was able to fire the aq/s strobe using the flash of the oly as trigger however the shots I got were very dark. Why did that happen? Is it synchronization problem? Help...

luigias

Originally posted by luigias
I just bought an olympus pt-010 casing for my Oly 3000Zoom cam. Before this, I use an Ikelite Aquashot 3e with a Ikelite aq/a strobe. My question is: Can I use the Ikelite aquashot aq/s strobe for the pt-010 and 3000z camera? I tried playing around with it and I was able to fire the aq/s strobe using the flash of the oly as trigger however the shots I got were very dark. Why did that happen? Is it synchronization problem? Help...

luigias

Hi,

I hate to say this but your Ikelite strobe will not work with the Olyc3000z digicam. One of the reason is the preflash issue on the Olyc3000z. You probably might wan to consider getting the Sea and Sea YS90DX, Sea and Sea YS25DX, INON D-180, Ikelite DS50 or DS125. All of the strobe mentioned will definitely work with your olyc3000z. Also, the reason why your shots came out dark is because of the timing and duration of the flash. It seems to me that your strobe is firing even before the shutter opens.

hope this helps.

Allan,

Thanks for the info. Will check your website for pricing of digital strobes. Thanks again

Allan,

I just saw in the wetpixel.com website a picture taken from an oly3000z and an ikelite auto35 strobe. Isn't the aq/s strobe and the auto35 strobe very similar? If so, why was the diver able to take a picture using the auto35 strobe? Now I'm confused...

luigias,

You're probably talking about Herb Koh's PT-007 and Ikelite A35 strobe setup. Yes, he was successfull using the Ikelite A35 strobe by remodelling the strobe and hard wiring it with a fiber opti cable he came up with. FYI, his setup has already been changed to a PT-010 housing with 2 YS90DX strobe.

I guess you could try to find a fiber optic cable and do some experementing yourself. Let me know the result.

Can't blame me for trying... was just hoping that I could use the aq/s strobe for the meantime until I can get a new strobe. thanks again

Don't know if the 3000 has the same settings as my 5050, but I used an AQ/S for a while with good results. I am able to set the camera to a straight slave flash that results in a single flash from camera.

The aq/s strobe can be used with any digital camera that does not have a pre flash or camera that you can turn off the pre flash. The auto 35 strobe is more powerful than the aq/s.

Back
Top Bottom