compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a wrist compass online and it seems that none of them have the wrist strap do they just not show the wrist strap in the picture or are they hard to find sorry I am a newbie

There are some that connect to a wrist strap (slide on the computer strap for instance), others that have their own wrist strap and many that mount in a boot (these are the puck type). This boot can be part of a console or a boot with a strap.

What do you have/want?

I want something that I can put on my wrist not something crazy in price 30-60 dollars, but i want it on my wrist. So do I need to buy the boot? and then the compass?

Most compasses you can buy as either a module or a wrist mount. You should be able to find one just for the wrist. Let me know if I can help. You shouldn't have to buy them seperately.

Brent

You could try it on a retractor instead, personaly I don't like things on my wrist. If youhave to have a wrist mount buy it as such. Don't try to jury rig it.

I suggest you shop for one that you can rig with bungee cord rather than the std wrist strap. It will be a lot easier to donn and doff, and it will be more secure as 2 bungee cords must fail to loose it. Or, if you can wait, you should eventually find one with the std strap that some diver has lost.:D

I think you want a wrist compass, like this:

There are other "mounting systems" that you don't see all the time. One is a gauntlet, a neoprene sleeve with a velcro patch that aligns with a patch on our wetsuit. In the old days we'd mount (from wrist on up) a compass, depth guage and then watch). The one I use today is much smaller (made from the sleeve of an old wet suit) and just has my compass and Aqualand watch on it.

When I lived in the keys I put my compass and watch on opposite sides of the wrist of a left hand kevlar glove, sort of the same idea, you can remove the back (4 screws) and screw it back together over a thin glove.

There's also Tamas' excellent approach: Home » Member » Tamas » Gauge Pod

and the DSS bungie wrist mount:

compasscomp2.jpg

Edited to address NorthernShrinkage below with a minimum waste of space: The Suunto sk7 (above) is, IMHO, the easiest compass to use. I prefer the sk5 (below) due to it's lower profile, but it is much touchier.
Suunto_SK5_compass.jpg

I recommend the Suunto SK7 shown above with the DSS bungee mount. I have that setup and it has worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom