compass weighting ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently got a Suunto sk7, on the box it has a world map and tells which zone on that map the compass is weighted for.

Can anyone tell me what they mean by weighted?

Does it have to do with variation?

BTW this is one happens to be weighted for Finland, interesting in that I am in the US.

Still seems to point to magnetic north!

lal7176 once bubbled...
Here is a site explaining the magnetic zones.

That answered my question. I looked at the box again and it is weighted for Zone 1, it was made in Finland. Though looks like Both Finland and US are in same zone.

WVMike once bubbled...
I recently got a Suunto sk7, on the box it has a world map and tells which zone on that map the compass is weighted for.

Can anyone tell me what they mean by weighted?

Does it have to do with variation?

BTW this is one happens to be weighted for Finland, interesting in that I am in the US.

Still seems to point to magnetic north!
Magnetic lines of force aren't necessarily parallel to the earths surface. The angle with horizontal, or "dip", will vary from place to place.

Some compasses will have a slightly offbalance weighting to counteract the tendency for the card to be tilted by the dip. That is probably what they are referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom