Comparing the video from my two cameras at Ten Mile Point (Victoria)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My vote goes for the T2 as well. Definitely better colour and usually (but not always) better definition.
Did you post about your homemade LED light? If not what did you do.

I think the T2i footage is generally better as well, although I don't like how the auto white balance adds too much red sometimes. If I use the T2i for wide-angle video from now on, I can use the HF-M40 (with the fish-eye lens removed) on the same dive for macro.
The LED light was made from a few Luxeon Rebel Tri-Star chips wired together on an aluminum heat sink, using resistors to regulate the current. High-powered LEDs are so hot that the solder would melt in seconds without the heat sink (The first time I tried testing it without the heat sink, the circuit melted and fell apart in about 2 seconds. I burned my fingers trying to pick up one of the tiny fallen leds). I put the final setup in an old Ikelite flash housing. The cord goes to my video housing, where I put a sealed lead-acid 12v battery and an on/off switch operated by a control rod. It's definitely not pretty. I have some brighter leds and current-regulating circuitry on order to make a much brighter light.

You've almost got a 3D setup there.

Pics of light? I like the Ikelite Flash Housing idea...hadn't thought of that.

Here's a close-up of the leds:
IMG_8714.jpg
Here's the whole thing together:
IMG_8715.jpg
The cord coming out of the front of the housing goes to a laptop fan I have near the dome to clear condensation underwater:IMG_8717.JPG
Here's the battery and switches all held together with electrical tape:
IMG_8718.JPG
I tried to make the whole thing as ugly as possible so If I accidentally leave it on the beach, people will think it's a bomb and leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom