Compair Mako 5407 issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.
After the compressor started making a worrisome loud ticking noise I shut it down and started investigating, quickly ruling out the obvious such as loose mounts leading to fan or belt noise, 1st stage piston and 4th stage plunger separation etc etc.

I did however find that the first stage delivery valve was encrusted with a great deal of carbon and burnt oil as was the valve cover.

Due to a lack of readily available spares and an urgent need for the compressor I took the first stage delivery valve apart and cleaned it and the valve cover. I also visualed the other valves which all seem fine and put the machine back together.

Yay for me no more annoying ticking noise.
Booo hoo. Oil pressure is where it should be but I now have no 1st, 2nd, 3rd or fourth stage pressure.

Any suggestions, gratefully received.

Attachments

• Carbon2.jpg
    Carbon2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Carbon1.jpg
    Carbon1.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Maintenance,
The most obvious is that the inlet valve on the 1 stage is not seated so there is no pressure being created when the piston moves up. Remove the inlet filter and see if you have any suction that is sustained or do you have a suck and push when the piston moves up
Frogman62

These valves can be tricky to line everything back up. You will need a thin, rigid piece of metal, such as a piece of shim stock or a thin steel ruler. Maybe even a feeler gauge, though I'm not sure it will be long enough for 1st stage valves. I have to leave for a job shortly, but if you are interested I will try to walk you through the process. BTW, I'm a Mako service tech.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom