Compair/Mako 5404

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at a used compressor using this block. Visually it looks like a Capitano, but wasn't sure if that was the case. Anyone have any knowledge of this machine, and what it's maintenance costs are like compared to Bauer's?

Thanks,
Jim

I have 5 5406 Compair/Mako's. Depending on the number of hours on your unit, it should give you years of outstanding service with little other than routine preventative maintenance. I change the oil in mine every 250 hours, using Chemlube 751/800, depending on service. The oil is not cheap. What I like about the Mako over the Bauer is the non-floating 4th stage piston. I replace my 4th stage piston and liners every 1000 hours, versus a bauer every 400 hours. I replace the piston and liner because I choose to, not because we have problems.

You didn't state wether your Mako was for home use or in a shop. If you use it at home, you should probably change the purification filters at least once per year, same with the oil. If you're pumping more air than that, follow manufacturers recommendations.

If you have specific questions, I have all of the service manuals for that compressor, and can help you with sourcing parts. Compair parts are higher than a kite, but I've managed to source valves, pistons and rings, bearings, oil, filters, etc. etc. from the same vendors that Compair uses. PM me and we can chat.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I haven't purchased, or even decided to purchase it quite yet, but if I do it will be for home use, not a shop.

Just to clarify, the Mako 5404 is NOT a Bauer block? Is it still continuous duty rated, good for filling banks?

Hi jim
i am not the best on compair units.
5404 was the first version and over the years some mods have been done.
i think that all parts are still ok but on some a mod will also be required.
they are a good work horse unit and easy to work on.
Parts are not cheap though.
for long runs i drop the running speed from 1300rpm to just over 100rpm.

That is correct, Jimmer, as I said on the Deco Stop (can I say that here, Netdoc?) it is a Reavell block made in England, not a Bauer. I don't know how the Compair distribution system is in Canada, but it is easy to get parts in the US, although they aren't cheap. If the owner will let you at it with a wrench, I can help you do a 15 min inspection to detirmine how expensive it will be soon and in the long run. you will need a 13mm and a 9mm. A crescent is always useful. What makes me leery of this particular unit is it's lack of purification and auto-drain. That stuff can be hellishly expensive to buy new, and I wouldn't tust something that is used, it's only good for so many pressurization/depressurization cycles. I have to replace my moisture seperators every 5 years, although they look perfect when I remove them, they've been through the ringer. You'd never tell just by looking.

Frank

Well this is fun trying to keep up with two threads on two sites lol. Frank, the Compair Canada building is about 45 minutes from here, right along the highway, so I suspect getting parts wouldn't be horribly difficult, just expensive I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom