Compact Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tug

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the new compact aluminum tanks? They are negatively buoyant when empty compared to a regular aluminum. I am looking to get a few tanks and was debating getting these.

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

They weigh about 4 pounds more and are about 4 pounds less buoyant than a standard 80. They are also less than an inch shorter. Personally unless they were the same price or cheaper than a standard tank, I wouldn't buy one. Just add 4 pounds to your belt or strap it to the standard tank.

Unless you can get them for the same price as an AL 80 they do not make much sense. A Worthington X7-100 hold 23 more cubic feet of gas than an AL 80, weighs only 2 lbs more, but is -2.5 lbs buoyant when empty compared to +4.4 lbs for an AL 80, so if you use any lead weight at all the X7-100 saves you 5 lbs in total weight.

With the compact/neutral 80, you have a 35 lb tank that is neutrally bouyant, so you gain basically nothing over a normal AL80 - you just pay more and if you have to pay more an X7-100 makes sense as you both save weight and gain 23 cu ft of gas.

Back
Top Bottom