Commercial Diver Career Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about commercial diver school.

1. Is becoming a commercial diver useful in other realms beyond inshore/offshore construction/repair? I ask b/c I am mostly interested in working in aquariums or museums doing whatever is needed or salvaging items from wrecks for display, etc...

2. My vision is that great w/o correctable lenses (contacts don't work for me). I know I have to at least pass a swim test sans goggles (with my Rx) which I can do, but should this be a larger safety concern?

Thank you.

A commercial diver is trained to work underwater. The nature of the work varies, but it largely doesn't matter if it's salvage, off a platform, or from a closed bell (saturation). Vision must meet a minimum of 20/40 (corrected). Generally speaking, contact lenses may be used, although hard lenses should be avoided due to the risk of corneal ulcera­tion secondary to the formation of bubbles beneath the lens. This risk is reduced if the lens is gas permeable or fenestrations are drilled through the lenses. Because you mentioned that you can't use these, you might look into how the Helmet face plate may incorporate corrective lenses i.e. glue in lens on the faceplate, etc.), or consider laser surgery to correct the problem. Water refraction itself might be enough to make the difference; I don't know your requirements. Normal color vision is also required (although explosives are not as commonly used as they once were, you have to distinguish between wire color). :)

If thats your goal I think your leaning more towards underwater archaeology. Aquariums rarely use commercial divers unless its a complex or dangerous situation, most use their own employees using scuba to maintain and clean tanks.

Back
Top Bottom