Comments from new PL2 user.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny my EPL1 is now considered "old" :shakehead:

It's ok.
I bought the EPL2 and it was obsoleted by the EPL3 before I even got it wet.

:shakehead: Yeah... its sad how the camera manufacturers like to make us all feel that way and try to suck money out of our pockets......... Canon and Nikon have elevated this to an art form over the past 4 decades...

Seriously, though.... I would not consider either the 1 or 2 "obsolete" --- What I said above regarding shutter lag/focus speed being really my only consideration for a 2-->3 upgrade also applies with the 1-->2 question. If you're happy with the performance of the "1" and are not missing shots due to lag (never had one so IDK how bad it is or even if its bad at all), then I doubt seriously your pictures will improve with an upgrade.... The sensors are near-identical on all 3 and the only improvement there seem to be better noise reduction at high ISOs, which you may or may not use...

@deeper thoughts: I have read of people upgrading the lens that came with the "1" to the II lens, which is supposedly better and faster...... That may be worth considering IF the improvements are significant enough.

:shakehead: Yeah... its sad how the camera manufacturers like to make us all feel that way and try to suck money out of our pockets......... Canon and Nikon have elevated this to an art form over the past 4 decades...

Seriously, though.... I would not consider either the 1 or 2 "obsolete" --- What I said above regarding shutter lag/focus speed being really my only consideration for a 2-->3 upgrade also applies with the 1-->2 question. If you're happy with the performance of the "1" and are not missing shots due to lag (never had one so IDK how bad it is or even if its bad at all), then I doubt seriously your pictures will improve with an upgrade.... The sensors are near-identical on all 3 and the only improvement there seem to be better noise reduction at high ISOs, which you may or may not use...

@deeper thoughts: I have read of people upgrading the lens that came with the "1" to the II lens, which is supposedly better and faster...... That may be worth considering IF the improvements are significant enough.

I actually like my camera and never missed a shot because of shutter lag. That being said, the more experienced photographers would probably have a different viewpoint.

This is an interesting thread. I am upgrading from an Oly C5060 WZ to the EPL2 with the Oly housing and have a single Inon S2000 flash. I will probably use the rig for the first time at Christmas in either Saba or Anguilla. I am considering what other upgrades I should consider and in what order. I am considering the Zen dome port and was wondering if I need to consider a second flash. However, the comments in his thread suggest that may not be necessary or, at least, not of primary importance. I am also wondering about a macro setup. I was considering the Oly wet lense or the Inon 330.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be most appreciated.

I would also appreciate any comments on what position I should set the EV switch for STTL on the Inon with this camera. I know that the Inon website recommended the "C" position for my C5060. Given that the EPL2 has a minimum ISO of 200 I was wondering if that should impact my initial choice of EV setting.

The other tips on this thread are really helpful. Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom