Coming to Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I feel the diving gets better the further south you go. The dive sites up north are all infested with coral, and you sweat like buggery in your drysuit... :wink:

Having said that late August may coincide with whale migration up the coast to the GBR. Look up Undersea Explorer and see what time of year they have their snorkelling with whales trips. All the boats up that way are fine – if you have a decent budget Mike Ball is good. Undersea explorer if you are on a tight budget.

It's best to go out on 3-5 night boat trips to the coral sea (big drop offs) and cod hole (some cute big fish) – the reefs that the day boats visit aren’t that hot.

Sydney has some good wreaks, plenty of seadragons and, in august, should be approaching an acceptable sea temperature.

Note Australia is a big place: one day in Sydney and 2 days GBR isn't going to work: unless you want to fly 1500 miles for a days diving on a crowded and fairly mundane inner reef (which would still be 3-4 hours fast boat ride from the coast).

Cheers,
Rohan.

Thanks Rohan,

I'll be in Austrailia from the morning of the 8/24th to 9/6th. I'll be flying in and out of Sydney and would like to stay in Sydney for a week, GBR for a few days.

V

sydney has good wrecks :huh:

within recreational limits we have bits of rust but i thought the better wrecks were in the 50mtr depths - Tassie can you clarify this?

and Tassie is right about heading south - we dived Tasmania last year (drysuit!) and was blown away by how nice it was

Yep - the good wrecks are all on the deeper side. To date I've only done a few shore dives in Sydney (that will hopefully change soon) but mates who've dived some of the sydney wrecks have brought back some impressive photos and videos. The sites are recommended only for divers with doubles, rebreathers or, fail that, huevos grandes

How good does the vis get during winter down there?

Cheers,
Rohan.

.. oops: double post!

.....How good does the vis get during winter down there?
as long as the blue water comes in - very good!

satuday was about 20mtrs and sunday (diff site) was 15mtrs

its still warm here right now - give me a month and i will be in the drysuit i reckon

visiting us?? :multi:

visiting us?? :multi:

I'll pass through Sydney a few times in coming months, and should have time for a stop over and few dives at some point - will let you know: be good to catch up for a few beers and maybe a dive or two.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hey guys, well I have some new developments.... I booked a 6 dive one night live aboard trip in Cairns on the GBR and well I've decided to ask my girlfriend to marry me underwater. I'd like some advice though...

Any ideas on something I could have the boat get for me or pick up and bring for myself that would enhance the moment.... from a sentimental perspective? Here's how it's going to work....

During one of our dives on the first day I'm going to do the knee thing underwater and have a guide taking pictures. I'll ask her via underwater slate. That night we have a private dinner on the helipad and breakfast served in our suite the next morning. I can't help but to feel like I'm missing something...

Thoughts?

ummm - a ring :D

go to the store and get one of those really big bling rings to present to her underwater (dont want to lose the real thing down there)

goodluck!! :multi:

Back
Top Bottom