Coming to Atlantic Beach Jul 17-23...Convince me I should dive..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I have at least 150 dives...pretty much all in South Florida and carribbean seas. I've done a decent amount of wreck dives and deep dives, in rough seas and rough conditions so I'm not concerned about wreck diving with strong currents or getting back on the boat in rough seas. I rarely get seasick but I'm not immune to it.. I guess I am just looking for insight. If I do dive while I'm in NC, I'd want to do it right and do a full day dive to the offshore wrecks (saw a dive video of the USCG Spar with sharks and bait balls, that exactly what I'd like to see)...but are the boat trips to those wrecks like Spar and U352 really 7-9 hours like some have said??? That'd make for a long day if it were rough out. Are inshore wrecks nearly as good?

Generally our offshore days are 2 hours out, do your first dive, 2 hour SI, do your second dive and then 2 hours back. Add a little time to get tied into the wreck and untied and it is easily an 8 hour day. But it is worth the experience, it is the best wreck diving and big animal experience in North America. You will not be disappointed, even if it is rough.

Last edited:
Most of the inshore wrecks are broken up, aside from the artificial stuff....James is right, definitely worth the ride out to the offshore stuff. Bring a book covering the wrecks- or sleep your way out and back....but it is some of the best diving in the world. The U352 is worth the trip if you like history, the Spar is generally a fun dive, lots of sharks and life on it-besides its like a "Scooby-doo' wreck- upright, looks like a ship, etc... Aeolus is good, the real Hutton (ex-papoose) the Schurz, name a wreck out there, its probably worth at least one trip to it.....most are worth multiple trips...

I agree with above comments! Caution though: It's like Lay's Potato Chips, If you have one, you'll only want more!!! :D

I agree with above comments! Caution though: It's like Lay's Potato Chips, If you have one, you'll only want more!!! :D

Im sold.. going out with Discovery tomorrow. Apparently they have a group that booked for the Naeco so I guess that's what I'm doing! Should be fun.

Im sold.. going out with Discovery tomorrow. Apparently they have a group that booked for the Naeco so I guess that's what I'm doing! Should be fun.

Sounds like fun! Should be a good trip! Please post your trip report when you return.

Naeco is a BEAUTIFUL wreck! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!

Last edited:

You’re in for a goooood time! I was there the 1st week in June. Any diver that goes to Morehead City NC and doesn't dive needs a check up from the neck up! I went with a different charter but my guess is the well known ones are all good. They had a top shelf set up and a crew to match.
They even had 2 regulators hanging over the side of the boat down to the hang line @ 15'-20' in just in case. Easy diving IMO, even in the rough water I only missed the ladder once. They had open side ladders so I didn't even need to take my fins off, something I don't really want to do in rough water. I’ll be going back every year until I dive every wreck at least 3 times!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom