Comfo-Byte for Apeks question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Searching the internet, one must say that unfortunately, the information about the Comfobite Mouthpiece is at best confusing. Does anybody know the answers?

It appears from the websites of the dealers that Aqualung/Apeks makes two models of the Comfort Mouthpiece. One type with and one type without antibacterial protection. The mouthpiece advertised with antibacterial effect has Silberionen integrated into the silicone according to some descriptions.

Asking around I get several answers like, there are two types, there is only the anti-bacterial one, there is no anti-bacterial one, and that they were once available, but Aqualung/Apeks stopped making them since there was no proof that it worked. Confusion all around.

Does anybody know this?

1. Are there two types, and if so, how does one recognise the difference?
2. Do the original once always have the Aqualung or Apeks logo on it? Of how does one know it is not an imitation? Because there are and I once had one and it lasted like ‘5-minutes.

Thanks, I look forward to your answer.

I have no idea if they make an anti bacterial mouthpiece nor do I understand your concern, goo rinsing and making sure everything is dry before storage or beret yet storing with good air circulation with be the most effective way of avoiding bacteria.

I don’t recall about the logo but there are some very soft copies, avoid those originals and good copies are much tougher.

Thanks Lexvil. my 'concern' is that there is a big price difference between them so I thought i find out. all you say is true and I know that. Thanks anyway.

Dive Gear Express (DGX) is a legit Apeks dealer and they have the Apeks Comfo-bite Antimicrobial mouthpiece listed on their website for sale if that is what you are looking for:

I have Aqualung/Apeks spare parts catalogs from 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2018, 2021, and 2022. I have not seen any mention of an "Antimicrobial" version of this mouthpiece listed in any of the resources I have.

DGX does not seem to list the manufacturer's part number on their product webpage. If the SKU is the same as the manafacturer's part number then this product was released in 2023 or 2024.

From my research, the Comfo-Bite mouth piece, throughout the years, came in black, grey, white, clear, and green depending on the Apeks/Aqualung 2nd stage it was spec'ed for....some colors were/are also produced in a regular and small size version, and there is a separate product number for a version for snorkels.

Regarding your concerns about imitation products: While Apeks OEM comfo-bite mouthpieces should have Apeks logo embossed in the silicone, Aqualung versions seem to indicate "Made in France" on one side and patent numbers on the other. It would not surprise me if counterfitters are able to copy those features as well as along with the rest of the product design. Your best bet to obtain a genuine version of this mouthpiece is to purchase from a verified legitimate Aqualung/Apeks dealer.

-Z

Thanks Zef for this extensive answer. Much appreciated.

Searching the internet, one must say that unfortunately, the information about the Comfobite Mouthpiece is at best confusing. Does anybody know the answers?

It appears from the websites of the dealers that Aqualung/Apeks makes two models of the Comfort Mouthpiece. One type with and one type without antibacterial protection. The mouthpiece advertised with antibacterial effect has Silberionen integrated into the silicone according to some descriptions.

Asking around I get several answers like, there are two types, there is only the anti-bacterial one, there is no anti-bacterial one, and that they were once available, but Aqualung/Apeks stopped making them since there was no proof that it worked. Confusion all around.

Does anybody know this?

1. Are there two types, and if so, how does one recognise the difference?
2. Do the original once always have the Aqualung or Apeks logo on it? Of how does one know it is not an imitation? Because there are and I once had one and it lasted like ‘5-minutes.

Thanks, I look forward to your answer.
If you consider the environment you're diving in (hint: Fish both poop and pee), I'm not quite clear why you worry about the odd bug that might be on your mouthpiece.

If you're really that concerned, a FFM might be a better choice.

Thanks John. I just wondered what is what with this mouthpiece.

I’ve had regs with the Apeks Comfobite and the AL Comfobite. The AL Comfobite is superior. Fits much better than the Apeks one. You want the ones that show “made in France.” They’re expensive but worth it.

I can see why people worry about the antimicrobial properties, but I think there is no substitute for proper care of the gear. Good rinsing, good drying, and you'll be fine regarding regs.

Rebreather counterlungs need disinfectant (Steramine), and dive schools may treat their regs with disinfectant. But other than that, I don't know anyone who bothers with it, and problems are unheard of.

Regarding the Apeks/Aqualung mouthpieces, they are my favourite, and there are several versions. My concern is mainly size:

1) There are two bore sizes. The slightly smaller bore fits all regs. That's the classic one, and is basically required for older regs like G250 and Atomic 1st generation regs (T1,Z1, B1). But a version of the newer ones come in a larger bore that fit modern regs nicely, like the Apeks XTX, Scubapro G260, S620ti, D420, and Atomic T2, T3 etc. A large bore reg with a large bore mouthpiece might have stronger venturi effects in their air delivery, but I have been told you can measure it with machines but not feel it.

2) The small bore mouthpieces are still made by AL and AP, and they come in different mouthpiece sizes. The smallest one is great for kids. Then there are Apeks and Aqualung versions, which I probably muddled together here. And perhaps different generations that explain the hardness Lex mentioned. It's great to have different versions to find the right fit, but what good is it we we can't identify and order them?

@buddhasummer knows more about what versions are out there. We could use a thread that lays out the differences.

I’ve had regs with the Apeks Comfobite and the AL Comfobite. The AL Comfobite is superior. Fits much better than the Apeks one. You want the ones that show “made in France.” They’re expensive but worth it.
thanks did not think about the AL Comfobite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom