Combining SSI specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I’ve read on a diving school (in Koh Phi phi) website that they offer combined specialties. So let’s say 3 or 4 days of diving doing 3 different specialties as an example they said deep, wreck and Nitrox.

Is this okay to do? We want to go diving this February for a few days in south east asia (based in Singapore) and thinking about combining 2 or 3 specialties..

We would love to learn more about wreck, night and deep.

QUOTED FROM THE NEW 2020 SSI STANDARDS

IV. Combining Specialty Programs
Specialty programs may be combined, provided that all academic, pool/confined water and open water training requirements for the applicable programs are completed.
If combining a specialty program with the Open Water Diver program, prior to any SSI Specialty certification, the student must be certi)ed as an Open Water Diver.
Safe diving practices must be followed at all times, and the SSI Training Standards for each Specialty program must be met when combining Specialties.
If two (2) Specialty programs are combined, a minimum of three (3) open water training dives are required.
If three (3) Specialty programs are combined, a minimum of four (4) open water training dives are required.
If four (4) Specialty programs are combined, a minimum of five (5) open water training dives are required.
NOTE: If the Deep Diving Specialty program is combined with another Specialty, a minimum of three (3) training dives deeper than 20 meters must be completed.
RECOMMENDATION: SSI Specialty programs are intended to provide students with a variety of experiences. Whenever possible, conduct more training dives than the minimum required. Always take student needs, student ability and environmental conditions into consideration when combining Specialty Programs and their training dives.

i recently took navigation and night time diving specialties together.

did class room portions for each section....then did 4 dives that evening. seeing as the navigation class complimented the night time diving class, it made pretty good sense to me to do them together.

i quoted the standards above. however, pls keep in mind that training should be a learning experience. the more dives you do the better. so even though combining specialty training is allowed and can reduce the number of dives required to earn that certification, that does not mean you should do it. in my opinion, if you have the chance to receive quality training, then take advantage of it, and do as many dives as possible during the courses.

i quoted the standards above. however, pls keep in mind that training should be a learning experience. the more dives you do the better. so even though combining specialty training is allowed and can reduce the number of dives required to earn that certification, that does not mean you should do it. in my opinion, if you have the chance to receive quality training, then take advantage of it, and do as many dives as possible during the courses.
Thanks! I 100% agree.

When I combine courses, I do so based on related subject matter. Example, during the peak algae blooms, I like to teach a combined navigation and limited viz/night course. However, there is no overlap with dives for each course, as I challenge my students for each one. Even though most SSI instructors do not augment their courses (there is a process in the standards, but I did not pursue that while I was teaching for an SSI shop), there is still plenty that an instructor can do that will consume all the gas in one's cylinder per specified dives.

Also keep in mind that the standards specify the minimum number of dives. You should not be disappointed if you don't meet the performance requirements in a dive, as that means most likely that your instructor is really challenging you to acquire new/improved diving skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom