Combined Thread: Oriskany Dive Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I wonder if it was an AGE?

Too early to tell. At this point, cause would be pure speculation. AGE, DCI, Heart Attack and a host of others would be a reasonable guess.....but, a guess is still a guess ( wasn't there a song like that ).

More info on DecoStop

Threads combined.

Thanks Otter and Mike.

This is not good news. Good reports that Mike linked to on TDS. Sad.

I have dove on the H2O below many times. Captain Doug runs the most safe charter I have ever been on.

diverrick:
What does "AGE" stand for?
Arterial Gas Embolism, one of the overexpansion injuries.
Rick

From Jim at MBT Divers on his forum,

"We've been flooded with calls from the news story this morning, so I thoughtI'd make a post to try to slow down the rumor mill a little.

The facts as we know them:
- The divers were planning a tech dive on Oriskany using rebreathers.
- They had both dove her the day before, and had a basic knowledge of where they were going on the ship.
- Upon reaching the surface, the victim was alert and conscious, giving the OK sign, and getting on the boat on his own.
- He collapsed and was given O2 with the aid of a nurse and EMT's.
- There were several boats in the area and they all worked well together to try to help the victim.
- The CG took control of the victim, who was medevac'd to Baptist.
- The CG is doing the investigation.

Things we do not know:
- We do not know what the victim's actual cause of death was, and it could be anything at this point.
- We do not know what the actual dive profile was - the coast guard has the equipment.
- We do not know when the CG will release any more information.

Capt. Douglas and the crew of the H2O Below did an outstanding job with the situation, and everyone worked well together.

We would like to thank everyone that has helped, and ask that prayers and any needed assistance be given to the victims family.

We will update info as we get it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom