Combined Thread: Oriskany Dive Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwfladiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just read that a diver has died after diving on the Oriskany today. from what i gathered the diver was bent when surfaced. he/she was given O2 while heading back to pensacola to meet up with the coast guard. the diver made it to baptist hospital where there is a chamber but was pronounced dead sometime after arriving. if this is true prayers are sent out to the family. it is also my understanding that the diver was from out of town and was staying at the hilton on pensacola beach.

I just heard about the incident this morning on a local forum.
There aren't many details posted.

I looked a the Pensacola News Journal site, as well as that of the local ABC affiliate.
Not a word of it on either. I guess that's ok though, since their reporting is notoriously incomplete. Especially on subjucts they don't understand... like diving.

Best wishes to the family, and to those who did what they could to help.

My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

i also could find little info. PNJ and channel 3 showed nothing on it. sometimes channel 5 out of mobile has better coverage than our local stations.

I know this guy personally and have dove with him, but know little more about what happened than you guys. Out of respect, I won't publicize his name. Once autopsy is complete & gear is sent off to be inspected, I'm sure more will be known. This goes to show you terrible things happen to great divers. God rest his soul.
Our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to his family.

We are all in a state of shock. He was a great diver who loved diving with his circle of friends. We saw him on our vessel quite often and he would always stop in our shop just to say hello and see what was going on. We will remember him for his love of diving for artifacts on the Civil War wreck and the excitement he shared with others about those finds.
Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to his wife and family!!!! We will miss you LS!! The staff and crew from Scuba Express in SC

Oriskany diver dies

[URL="http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/persbilde?Avis=DP&ID=21"]http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/persbilde?Avis=DP&ID=21[/URL]

Thyrie Bland
tbland@pnj.com

A man who died over the weekend after diving at the Oriskany could be the artificial reef’s first dive-related death.

The 39-year-old, whose name was not released, died sometime after being taken to Baptist Hospital on Saturday, said Steve Lewallen, a U.S. Coast Guard civilian search and rescue controller.

The Oriskany is a decommissioned aircraft carrier that was sunk 24 miles southeast of Pensacola in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006. As expected, it has become a popular dive spot, attracting divers from all over the world.

Saturday’s death occurred after the victim surfaced from a dive and was having difficulty breathing. He also was in and out of consciousness, Lewallen said.

It appeared that the man was having symptoms of the bends, Lewallen said.

The bends, also known as decompression sickness, describes a variety of symptoms that occur when someone experiences a reduction in body pressure. It can occur when a diver ascends too rapidly during a dive or does not carry out decompression stops after a long or deep dive.

Once the 39-year-old was back aboard the H2O Below, a local charter boat, a registered nurse administered oxygen. A call for help also was made.

“They couldn’t depart immediately because other divers were in the water,” Lewallen said.

A Coast Guard boat was launched to meet the H2O. The boats met just outside Pensacola Pass.

The victim was put aboard the rescue boat and taken to the Pensacola Coast Guard station where a helicopter was waiting to take the him to Baptist.

“He died a few hours after he got to the hospital,” Lewallen said.

In 2006, another man died after a dive at the Oriskany, but his death not dive related, officials said.

Chester “Chet” Alan Robinson, 55, who owned a tattoo and body piercing shop, went into cardiac arrest after boarding a recreational boat and removing his scuba gear.

Robinson stopped taking his medications after having a stent placed in his heart in February 2006. He had been advised by his doctor not to dive.

Jim Phillips, part owner of MBT Divers on Navy Boulevard, said people make the Oriskany dive just about everyday.

“Everybody talks about what an incredible dive it is,” he said. “It’s a beautiful spot.”
Phillips said he has made the dive about five times.

“There are some locals that have made the dive over 100 times,” he said. “They still come back talking about how awesome it was.”

Phillips said he does not think Saturday’s death will discourage divers from making the dive.

“For the most part, it’s just an unfortunate occurrence,” he said.
----------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: i have also heard that he was using a rebreather and had gone to a depth of 161 feet. keep in mind this is what i have heard so i can't verify it.

Posted on Mon, Aug. 20, 2007
Diver dies nears artificial reef
A man died after diving at the decommissioned aircraft carrier Oriskany, an intentionally created artificial reef off Pensacola. The 39-year-old man, who was not identified, died hours after he was taken to Baptist Hospital on Saturday, said Steve Lewallen, a U.S. Coast Guard civilian search-and-rescue controller.

The Oriskany was sunk 24 miles southeast of Pensacola in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006 and attracts divers from across the globe.

The man surfaced from a dive and was having difficulty breathing. He also struggled to maintain consciousness, Lewallen said.

The man appeared to be suffering from symptoms of decompression sickness, Lewallen said.

Decompression sickness, also known as the bends, describes a variety of symptoms that occur when someone experiences a reduction in body pressure.

So sorry to hear.........any idea about his dive profile???......

I wonder if it was an AGE?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom