Colored wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paddles

Reaction score
Let me preface this post with "If this has been asked previously, please point me to the post and I'll go away :wink: "

Do wetsuits only come in black? If so, why?

If not, what other colors are there? And where can I find them?

I'm a newbie (DUH!) and was just wondering. I know black is slimming, but...

Paddles:
Let me preface this post with "If this has been asked previously, please point me to the post and I'll go away :wink: "

Do wetsuits only come in black? If so, why?

If not, what other colors are there? And where can I find them?

I'm a newbie (DUH!) and was just wondering. I know black is slimming, but...

Mostly it's black but many have trim/accent color. Mine has bright
yellow sides and some yellow at wrists and ankles. Bright or
different color is usful if you dive with a group so your buddy
can recognise you. Many of us look the same in a full black suit
with black hood and grey steel tank.

Down here in So Cal there is a custom wetsuit maker that will
make you whatever you want.

ChrisA:
Mostly it's black but many have trim/accent color. Mine has bright
yellow sides and some yellow at wrists and ankles. Bright or
different color is usful if you dive with a group so your buddy
can recognise you. Many of us look the same in a full black suit
with black hood and grey steel tank.

Down here in So Cal there is a custom wetsuit maker that will
make you whatever you want.

Tell me, tell me! Black is soooo boring, but I was wondering if there was a reason for it...

When I was diving a couple weekends ago, I was told by one buddy it was easy to recognize me because of my yellow mask and fins...he, in turn, was easy to see also because of the bright pink 2nd stage. (Yes, he is very secure, eh? :crafty: )

Do we just have to rely on colored accessories or can we design a custom suit? Money doesn't grow on trees in my neighborhood...I was just wondering what the options were and why suit manufacturers (sp?) haven't offered choices...I don't know...maybe they do?

Paddles:
Do we just have to rely on colored accessories or can we design a custom suit? Money doesn't grow on trees in my neighborhood...I was just wondering what the options were and why suit manufacturers (sp?) haven't offered choices...I don't know...maybe they do?
Paddles,

You can contact Carolyn at Liquid Fit. She has teamed up with Dive Godess and can create all types of colorful suits if that is what you are after. I don't think her pricing is out of line with anybody else and you will end up with a custom suit cut and assembled just for you. You may end up having to replace some of your accessories though as you will want to color coordinate your dive gear. I have not seen Jet fins in tiger strips though.

www.liquidfit.com

Mitten Diver

No reason why wetsuits need to be black. Though many of them tend to be, but I've seen different colours before. Even bright pink (shudder).

A lot of it is just tradition. In the old days when nylon was used in wet suits rather than lycra and other more flexible and stretchy fibers wet suits basically came in blue and black with black suits being slightly more flexible. This was because dyes for other colors tended to reduce the stretch of the nylon and make the suit less flexible. Nylon I suits (nylon on the inside, rubber on the outside) were one option to gain more flexibility but the exposed neoprene on the outside of the suit was more susceptible to damage, and of course the only color was black.

Today's suits are a vast improvement in that department over the Nylon II suits used 25 years ago, but black still remains a popular color in a retro sort of way. Black also goes with just about everything else so color coordination is easier and fewer suits need to be produced and stocked if black is the standard color. This helps keep prices competetive in what is already a very competetive market. In the early $80's a quality wet suit could easily cost you $400, while today a suit of simlar quality constructed of much more flexible materials will cost half that even before you correct for the effects of inflation. Wet suits have never been cheaper. If you want another color, a custom suit is an option but one that will double or triple the cost compared to a stock suit.

I have not heard one way or the other but I would not be surprised if the dye process still affects the flexibility of the lycra and similar fibers used today in wet suits. Nearly every manfacturer seems to be striving for the ultimate in flexibility in wet suits, so the dye process may still be a factor.

Since you're in CA, call Lisa at New Wave Wetsuits in Fullerton. She and her mom made custom wetsuits for both of my daughters, let them pick the colors and everything, and the price was unbelievable (about $300 for both). You can email Lisa at newwave@prodigy.net

Thanks everyone...I didn't consider the dye process as it relates to flexibility...makes sense! I am in the market for a suit, so I'll check out the links y'all pointed me to...Thanks again!

Paddles:
Tell me, tell me! Black is soooo boring, but I was wondering if there was a reason for it...
Black fades less fast. A bright colored wetsuit will quickly fade in color out in the sun for hours on end.

zboss:
Black fades less fast. A bright colored wetsuit will quickly fade in color out in the sun for hours on end.

Yes, I have a yellow & blue 3mm shorty, reserved for holiday use only in warm water, which I bought on sale in a surf shop and although it has much less use than my long black 5mm, already looks like it is 20 years older.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom