Colored Webbing for DSS Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmendelson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any ideas where I can get similar quality replacement webbing in colors for my backplate?

What are the specs on the webbing that comes with the plate? I know it is 2" coated nylon webbing, but anything else I need to know to buy the right webbing?

-Daniel

Any ideas where I can get similar quality replacement webbing in colors for my backplate?

What are the specs on the webbing that comes with the plate? I know it is 2" coated nylon webbing, but anything else I need to know to buy the right webbing?

-Daniel
We furnish resin reinforced webbing with our Hogarthian Harness Kits.

Different vendors of black resin reinforced webbing have somewhat different stiffness webbing. Add in the variable of color and I cannot predict which webbing would be of "similar quality"

You might try Strapworks, or ReefScuba, but I have not tried every color of every webbing they might offer, you might like it or not. The good news is webbing is pretty inexpensive.

The most basic requirement for a "Hog" harness is resin reinforced.

Good luck,

Tobin

My Hot Pink webbing has no give. It sucks. Even with shoulder pads its rough.

I've had it for a year. I've been told by many dive professionals that it would soften over time and dives.

A year and over 100 dives and nothing.

I'll be replacing it soon.

Decades ago, I had a SeaQuest bc that used webbing. The webbing wore out, and on Oahu, I couldn't find any replacement stuff long enough. I was in the original Honolulu Sears before it became the Honolulu Police headquarters (Hawaii 50), and they had replacement lawn chair vinyl strapping so I bought a bunch of that. It was smooth and lasted the few more years that I owned the bc before I sold it at the Aloha Swap Meet.

The most basic requirement for a "Hog" harness is resin reinforced.

Good luck,

Tobin

Tobin, can you elaborate on this? I am experimenting by taking this high tenacity polypropylene: High Tenacity Polypropylene 2 Inch , wrapped around the shoulders to the d-rings with tubular nylon: Tubular Nylon Webbing 2" . And I've stiffened the webbing with PVC glue where it goes through the hip webbing slots on the backplate, where the chest d-rings attach, and along some of the shoulder so the harness sticks out and is easier to get into.

(It can be hard to find diving-related things to do in New York in the winter...)

Am I missing a flaw in this plan?

Last edited:
Tobin, can you elaborate on this?

No, not really.

We use resin reinforced nylon webbing.

There are literally 100's of types of webbing, different materials, different weaves, reinforced, un reinforced etc.

I can't comment on anything I haven't used.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom