Color deficiency problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same problem, apparently not quite as bad as yours. I discovered several years ago - while skiing - that colored lenses like those that are found in Seavision dive masks have the effect of making colors more vibrant and easier to see for me. I can't find many of the colored numbers in those color test cards, but I can usually identify and name a color if it is pointed out to me. My wife is forever saying "look at the red flowers on that bush". I notice, but only if they are pointed out.

Give Seavision type colored lenese a try and see if it helps.

I really feel for you guys. I'm ever so slightly color blind. I can tell the difference between shades of red and green but I have trouble with soft "pink" shades, which I see as a light tan. Made for some interesting clothing choices, including a "light tan" ski jacket I bought in high school (with the usual ribbing by adolescents), and some funny incidents, most recently just finding out that the building I work in is colored a shocking Florida Pink and I didn't even know it (hey, it was light tan). I also failed two of the color slides for an FAA color blind test, but I still managed to get my medical for that. I know of many pilots who are more color blind that I am, but they seem to be able to keep their licenses. Reason for concern????

But it could work to your advantage. When I edit my photos, I just crank up the reds enough so that I can see pink. For underwater shots, adding a lot of red seems to help.

If is difficult for you to say which one is green and which one is red then is not much you can do.
As a suggestion once you done with the picture editing (contrast and everything) and you think is ready try autobalance (Adobe or any other program will have this) and see if you can see a difference. The less you see the closer you are to real colors. I guess is a simple way to determine.

Safe Diving

Jetwrench:
Here's a good one for thought. I am color deficient, better said I don't see colors as most do. Reds and greens can elude me, and other colors are not apparent due to this inherent flaw I have. Many times purple looks like blue, and green can appear as brown. The problem is, I take pics and edit them the best I can, and someone points out too much green, not enough blue, was it that red down there? Is there anyone with a suggestion on how to get my pics color correct? Discuss. I add a pic from Bonaire as subject matter.

Jet

PS:So I can't spell deficient, sue me.

Back
Top Bottom