Color deficiency problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a good one for thought. I am color deficient, better said I don't see colors as most do. Reds and greens can elude me, and other colors are not apparent due to this inherent flaw I have. Many times purple looks like blue, and green can appear as brown. The problem is, I take pics and edit them the best I can, and someone points out too much green, not enough blue, was it that red down there? Is there anyone with a suggestion on how to get my pics color correct? Discuss. I add a pic from Bonaire as subject matter.

Jet

PS:So I can't spell deficient, sue me.

As someone who's known they are red/green colorblind for many years, my short answer would be 'you can't.' You need someone who is non-colorblind to advise you if you want the colors right. Preferably someone female, as color-blindness is a male-linked genetic defect something like 99% of the time.

If someone else has a solution I'd certainly be interested in hearing it as well.

You could try going for more contrast and turn your pics BW...you can get some cool cool stuff that way.
Made your pic BW and worked on the color. Can you see any difference between your and my picture??

justleesa:
You could try going for more contrast and turn your pics BW...you can get some cool cool stuff that way.
Made your pic BW and worked on the color. Can you see any difference between your and my picture??
Umm..yes. Your's is BW. Mine has color. I'm not sure if I should laugh or tilt my head in confusion for not seeing the obvious.(adding a little red or green would go right by me) :dontgetit I may not have been clear in that I can see colors, including red and green, just that they sometimes appear differently to me than what others see. The pics I posted earlier from Bonaire were critiqued for being too green, yet I had no clue.
I think I knew the answer to this question before I asked it, but I was curious to hear the solutions and if others out there had the same problem.
You should see me trying to pick out clothes in the store! Now that's something to see! Yes, you may laugh with me.

Jetwrench:
Umm..yes. Your's is BW. Mine has color. I'm not sure if I should laugh or tilt my head in confusion for not seeing the obvious. :dontgetit I may not have been clear in that I can see colors, including red and green, just that they sometimes appear differently to me than what others see. The pics I posted earlier from Bonaire were critiqued for being too green, yet I had no clue.
I think I knew the answer to this question before I asked it, but I was curious to hear the solutions and if others out there had the same problem.
You should see me trying to pick out clothes in the store! Now that's something to see! Yes, you may laugh with me.
Well I guess you have more trouble than I thought... :wink: the second picture (the colored one) I posted is also touched up and should look different than your picture.

Jetwrench, justleesa, I think there's some misunderstanding here. If I'm reading right, wrench, you're comparing the two pictures justleesa posted. I think she was asking you to compare the the color version she posted to the color version you posted originally. (To me, justleesa's is more purple and missing some greens, but what do I know?)

I never buy new clothing without my wife along to confirm that the color I'm buying is the color I think I'm buying.

You got it! Give the man a Prize!
I changed it to see if there is a difference for him at all. :eyebrow:

justleesa:
Well I guess you have more trouble than I thought... :wink: the second picture (the colored one) I posted is also touched up and should look different than your picture.
Sorry justleesa, I can't tell the difference even with both pics side by side. I did notice a difference in sharpness, but that's not unusual.
BTW, I think my color "trouble" makes me appreciate it more when I do see the bright colors some fish species have. Others may take it for granted. Maybe I'm lucky that way.
If and when I post more pics as I learn this photo stuff, I encourage all to offer feedback. I still have alot to learn from this group. Dive Safe, everyone!

justleesa:
You got it! Give the man a Prize!
I changed it to see if there is a difference for him at all. :eyebrow:

I had a feeling that was the case! No, I can't see that color difference. Oh well, what can you do but just have fun with it? I still enjoy the nice pics I find here, colors and all. :)

Jetwrench:
Sorry justleesa, I can't tell the difference even with both pics side by side. I did notice a difference in sharpness, but that's not unusual.
BTW, I think my color "trouble" makes me appreciate it more when I do see the bright colors some fish species have. Others may take it for granted. Maybe I'm lucky that way.
If and when I post more pics as I learn this photo stuff, I encourage all to offer feedback. I still have alot to learn from this group. Dive Safe, everyone!

Heh, I can't offer feedback since I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I can at least commiserate. Doesn't change my joy in diving though.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom