Color correction filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
In ye olde film days, a set of color correction filters was de rigeur for any serious photographer, unless s/he shot only b&w. Enter the digital camera and the disappearence of color correction filters, because, hey, white balance can be adjusted digitally either before or after the shot. Tungsten lamps? Blue shade? Don't worry, just shoot raw and adjust WB during PP.

At least, that was what I believed until I started taking my digital camera underwater. G*d d*mn, that red channel was weak. 10 meters below the surface, and I had to abandon Lightroom and bring my photos into Photoshop to be able to wring enough signal from my red channel to avoid completely green pictures. And after using blunt force on my red channel, it was so noisy I had to resort to heavy noise reduction and suffered loss of detail. So, I started thinking of ye olde color correction filters. Slapping a magenta or 85B filter on the camera should dampen the green and blue channel quite a bit, making the red channel less underexposed. Nice theory, but is it done? I can't find much on the 'net about this.

So, are there anybody here who are using CC filters underwater? I'm seriously considering to buy a Wratten 85 and an FL balancing filter for the blue and the green water respectively, for WA scenery shots. Good idea or stupid idea? And what about flash gels? Topside, I almost always prefer to balance flash and ambient, often using a gel to color balance my flash with the ambient light. Is it possible to get flash gels for those WA shots to dampen the harsh difference between the daylight-balanced flash foreground and the blue/green background?

I am using filters for video at times
for stills they are not worth it the amount of correction in Lightroom in post is stronger than a filter
Not only that a filter takes 1 1/3 f-stop away so makes the picture more noise
Do you have a strobe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom