Colombia - Caribbean coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid $90 US for 2 tanks. A little expensive compared to how cheap everything else is there. Had it been in a strictly dive boat (without the snorkelers, Discover Scuba folks), it might have been OK, but it was very crowded in a panga with no bimini and NO ladder! I always take my own equipment but we were traveling to different places so it wasn't practical. Their equipment was old so I had to really go over it close. Good memories though

Anyone been there recently? Considering a trip in Feb with diving in the Isla Rosario area and 2-3 days topside to see Cartagena. Would love recommendations on dive shops on Islas de Rosario!

As previously mentioned by other responders, the dive operators in Cartagena mostly will dive where there isn't a pollution problem, namely around Isla Baru and Rosario Islands. I went out with (and recommend) Cartagena Divers, a PADI 5-Star operation located in the Walled (Colonial) City; we dived around Isla Baru. True; the diving in general is on par with places on the Mesoamerican Reef, such as Cozumel or Honduras' Bay Islands. But I thought it still was very satisfactory: pretty good viz; warm water temps; healthy aquatic life. (Please read my feed where I describe my trip, which was quite recent: June of 2018.)

I also have dived from Taganga-Santa Marta. The same can be said: pretty good (not excellent) viz; the water seemed slightly cooler, but still Caribbean temps; healthy marine life, in my observation. The dive operators -as well as everything else- are MUCH less expensive than in Cartagena, and Taganga has many from which to choose. I went with Oceano Scuba, and I would recommend them. I also did hear that Poseidon was a good operator, as well. I went diving in Taganga in 2016; I look forward to returning, at some point.

If you have a tighter budget, Santa Marta definitely is the better choice. Topside, the area also is more laid-back and less a tourist trap than is Cartagena. That being said, Santa Marta is not a beautiful city; and Taganga is something of a dump. Cartagena, meanwhile, is quite touristy and significantly more expensive; but it has a gorgeous colonial section (the "Walled City"), while some other parts are built up and look like South Florida. You choose your preference.

In conclusion, I have enjoyed my scuba experiences in Colombia, both in Cartagena and in Santa Marta-Taganga. Consider what I and other SB users have said. Personally, I do recommend scuba diving in Colombia. I have found the operators (that I have chosen) to be courteous, safety oriented, and professional. The underwater environment is very good. I cannot comment on diving the Pacific side; maybe I'll go there on a future trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom