Collapsed Lung and Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dr.
I have a friend who had a Collapsed lung about 20 years ago and wanted to take up Diving but is concerned about the possibility of his lung collapsing again. He freedives to about 30 feet and has for about 5 years without any problems.
The only thing I know about how his lung collapsed was that he was in a motorcycle accident and the bike landed on his chest collapsing his lung. His chest was drained of blood and he got the lung back.
Is there a danger of any recurring trouble with his lung on deep dives. I just got my AOW and I’d like to dive with him but without a Rescue Qual I am worried that he might have trouble that I can’t handle.

(not a doctor but work closely with a hyperbaric doctor and have had this question many times)

The usual answer is no, not so much for the likelyhood of it reoccuring, that only is a concern with spontaneous Pneyumothorax, but rather that scar tissues in the lungs may cause partial blockage of expanding air upon ascent.

Whatever way, a consultation with a hyperbaric physician is proabaly the prudent path to take..

The "textbook answer" is that the real problem is a spontaneous (= no recognizable cause) lung collapse.

Best to get advice from the clinicians at DAN

The Pnuemo should not be a problem from so long ago (if you have not had any recurring problems) since it was a traumatic pnuemo. The precentage of the pnumeo is important too. Most non-tramatic pneumothorax less than 20% do not even receive a chest tube.

Recurring spontaneous 'pneumos' could cause you a problem due lack of good adheasion with the plural cavity.

Back
Top Bottom