Coleto Creek Reservoir--Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailor025

Reaction score
I'm going to Coleto Creek this weekend. How clear is the water there? Is it worth diving? I can't find anything on the web about diving there so I suspect it is not good. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Rodney

I've never heard of it. Where exactly is it?

sailor025:
I'm going to Coleto Creek this weekend. How clear is the water there? Is it worth diving? I can't find anything on the web about diving there so I suspect it is not good. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Rodney

COLETO CREEK RESERVOIR

Location: Guadalupe River Basin, 15 miles west-southwest of Victoria off US 59. Access road marked with sign.

Size: 3,100 acres

Maximum Depth: 46 feet

Normal Water Clarity: Clear to slightly stained

Aquatic Vegetation: Isolated beds of coontail, American pondweed, American lotus, cattail, rushes, and moderate densities of hydrilla

Predominant Fish Species: Largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, white bass, crappie, blue catfish, channel catfish, flathead catfish, bluegill sunfish, redear sunfish

When I was much younger and studying freshwater ecology (late '90's), I went down to 'ol Coleto Creek and had a look-see. There were several areas I noted in late spring that might have hosted decent diving opportunities. Patches of rather clear water around submerged vegetation beds (I forget the kinds) were interspersed near the main boat ramp and out by the dam. The water samples our team took showed very clean, fairly clear water out by the dam especially.

I looked into diving there years ago, but came up empty. It's hard enough finding people who've even HEARD of the place. It really is off the beaten path, unless you're driving to Corpus.

Sailor, why don't you drag your scuba gear with you and check the place out for us? Can't be any worse than some of the other places we often dive.

I've fished CC several times. There is a lot of hydrilla on the lake. And since it is a power plant resevoir and shallow it is very warm. I'm interested to see your comments on diving the lake. One word of caution: There are aligators that live in some of the coves on Coletto Creek.

My best advice is, "Don't". It is a beautiful lake with stained water. But, where the hydrilla is really thick, the water is crystal clear--but those spots are 2 feet above the hydrilla and a patch of about 400 square feet. It's a fun lake to fish but you wouldn't want to dive there!

Sailor

When I do "hydrilla diving", I seek out the margins, and open holes within the clumps. You shouldn't expect to be moving around a whole lot, rather the opposite. A 400 square foot patch is unusually large, and sounds like a great place to sit down and watch fish.

How was the bottom? Muddy or sandy? Easily stirred up? Did you check out the deep areas by the dam?

I didn't dive because I didn't think it was worth the effort. The bottom where I launched my kayak was firm. I thought about getting snorkel gear and swimming in the hydrilla but decided against it since the hydrilla was so thick and so close to the surface.

I went down to the dam by boat and looked at the water. My estimate was that the vis was about 5' in the water without the hydrilla. In some areas it seemed murkier but in most areas, I think the 5' is correct.

Sailor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom