Cold water protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MEDICJOJO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have a Henderson 7m wetsuit and will be diving alot in cold water will that offer the protection a dry suit will with hood and gloves? Whats the tempature differances and comfort being cold that is, are they that big of a diffrance?

No, it will not, not even a little bit. I dive my 7mm farmer john down to about 39 degrees, but not comfortably and not for very long. Conversely dry suit divers are much more comfortable for far longer periods of time. They also have less bouyancy issues because the neoprene compresses so much. A 7mm farmer john suit can lose as much as 20 pounds of bouyancy at depth. I don't dive dry, I know they have extra weight considerations as well, but not like wet suits do.

On top of that, if it is cold outside, you will be stripping the suit of and be wet underneath, so that can be miserable too.

If you think you are going to do mostly cold water diving, then invest in the dry suit now. I didn't, I regret it, and so I am somewhat stuck with my wetsuit for now.

BTW if you 7mm is a one piece, plan on freezing below 50 degrees...

Depends on how cold is cold, and also how deep. Gloves and a hood will definitely help a lot, but no wetsuit will ever offer the same protection as a dry suit, especially as it compresses and loses insulation with depth.

Recommendation - try the hood and gloves, and if cold water diving is to be a regular thing consider a dry suit.

Have a Henderson 7m wetsuit and will be diving alot in cold water will that offer the protection a dry suit will with hood and gloves?

Nowhere near it

Whats the tempature differances and comfort being cold that is, are they that big of a diffrance?

Depends massively on the persons susceptibility to cold, how many dives they do per day, how many days in a row they dive, how warm the surface conditions are and so on.
That said, i dont actually understand the sentence you wrote above to give a better answer.

A drysuit will actually keep you warm.

A wetsuit will just keep you not hypothermic, There's a big difference.

I've used a 7mm with a this
BARE 7mm Arctic Hooded front zip Vest

Down to the low 50's, after 30-40 min I'm pretty chilled, and out of the water even colder and not really happy

Dry suit divers would be just jolly, and ready to dive again.

Let us know where this "cold water" diving is going to take place and maybe we can give some educated advice. But there are a lot of factors that need to be taken in:

1. How cold is the water temp?
2. How deep are you planning on going?
3. How long are you expecting to be underwater?
4. How susceptible are you to cooler temperature?

I dive in Southern California where the coldest I've experienced was 50-F and the warmest is 60-F. I use a 7-mm one-piece wetsuit and it works well for me under the following circumstances: a) not deeper than 130-ft, b) not longer than 1-hrs, and c) I'm fairly cold resistant - other men with similar size (i.e. fat) as me shiver in 50-something water even though they have 7mm suit AND vest underneath while I'm happy as a clam.

As an instructor contracting with a dive shop, a benefit I have always had was free access to their very nice, good fitting (for me) 7 mm rental suits. Given the cost difference between a free 7mm and an expensive dry suit, I saw no reason to go dry for a long time.

Eventually, though, I decided the time had come, and I bought a dry suit, right about the time the shop started stocking dry suits to which I would also have had free access.

Despite all that clear financial stupidity, I do not for a moment regret buying my dry suit. I enjoy all the benefits that have already been mentioned. The one I bought (Whites Fusion) is different from those I would have "rented," and I like the fact that I have become familiar with its unique characteristics. I occasionally wear a 7mm again for various reasons, and each time I wish I were in my dry suit.

Although I have never dived a wetsuit in water below 75 degrees, the people who have and do tell me that they can be pretty comfortable in 50 degree water. Their dives have to be shorter, and most tellingly, they rarely do a second dive. It is most difficult to remain warm on the surface between dives, especially in low air temperatures (like our high 30's/low 40's which is typical for winter).

Having watched them, I am quite happy that my decision to go dry from the beginning was the correct one.

Again, the definition of cold depends. Anything below 70* is considered cold water by training agencies, though me personally cold is below 60(I also dive dry, so I'm good to about 40* based on my gloves/hood/insulation). I met a lady that only dives on awesome vacations to exotic places, and she considers 74* cold. So.......you're call.

Go hop in the water and see how you feel after a dive or two. If I'm thinking correctly, your area is 50* and below? If you're not happy with the 7mm suit, go find a nice thick semi-dry and a very thick hood(at least 7mm, but why not 12mm?). You can get a neoprene drysuit, brand new, under $1000 though, so consider that. Or you could hop on over to thedecostop.com and look at the classifieds there for a used drysuit. I think there's two up right now, a used Otter for $350 and a used CF200 for $800. Drysuits can get pretty expensive though because of repairs, so make sure you're not absolutely scrounging money to just make the initial purchase. I could win a Ferrari from a contest, but I'd never keep it cause of service costs!

If you can find someone to teach you how to dive a drysuit, do that instead of paying for the class. Also, you won't feel so bad if you order from Leisurepro and have a friend teach you, vice a shop :) LP has great deals on suits.

They also have less bouyancy issues because the neoprene compresses so much. A 7mm farmer john suit can lose as much as 20 pounds of bouyancy at depth. I don't dive dry, I know they have extra weight considerations as well, but not like wet suits do.

20lbs?? let me ask you this if I use 25lbs with a 7mm 2 piece would it be better to be a little heavier? Cost is more my issue with a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom