Cold water photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I would like to continue diving with my Camera over the winther in water temperatures down to 2-3 degree celcius.
But I'm wondering if such cold watertemperatures can cause any problems with cameras, housing or flashes during the dive?

My camera is a Canon G9 in Ikelite housing and Inon Z240 flash.

Has anyone experienced any particulair problems caused by low temperatures.
thanks
Ulrik

brrr... 36F! While I haven't had such extreme cold water experience, I can tell you what I know from my dives in 50F "or 10C". I use a similar setup "G10 w/ Ikelite and DS-51 strobes". Batteries tend to drain quickly in colder temperatures, so making sure you have fully charged them or installed a fresh set is a must. My G10 battery will easily last 2-3 dives in any temperature but my old Olympus which used AA batteries would die on me before the end of one 50F dive. Outside of the battery issue the only problem I can see arising is fogging. Making sure to secure the camera inside the housing at home before leaving will help to prevent most fogging. I have never had to use desiccant packs to prevent fogging in my diving local, but they can't hurt. Besides those factors, your setup should function the same as in warmer temps.

Have any Denmark diving pics to share? I would love to see what the land of Tuborg beers and Lego blocks has to offer under the waves :)

Yes I guess it will be a good idea to check to the batteries. I use eneloop batts. in my z240, hopefully they can do the job and now I also got a back of silicon gel in the house to prevent fogging. I'll be doing a night dive this evening and water temp. should be between 6-8 degree cecl. now, so hope it goes well :)
You can watch my pictures on Picasa Web Albums - Ulrik Paludan
Not the most colorfull underwater scenery here but nice and easy beach dives. The maps "Klint", "Ebbeløkke", "Røsnæs", "Reersø" are Denmark dives and "kullaberg" in Sweden just 20km away. Apart from that there a quit a lot of nice wrecks, but no pictures yet, unfortunally.

Hi
I would like to continue diving with my Camera over the winther in water temperatures down to 2-3 degree celcius.

:blessing: :gas:

40.gif

Not that freezing :D
Water was 8 deg. cel. and crystal clear yesterday evening. No problem at all in a drysuit.:wink:

I've used my older Sony in those temps, no real problems with the camera. Now free flowing regulators, another story.

Back
Top Bottom