Cold Water Octo Reg or SS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FAW

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I certified OW in 1973, I'm really a newbie. Up until 2 years ago, my diving was casual and occasional with rental gear. Moved to Oregon and have really gotten into the diving up here. I have about 150 dives total and am OW, AOW and Nitrox certified so far. Getting wreck certified this weekend.

My first gear up here was a SP knighthawk with Air2 and a Mk25/S600. I liked the Knighthawk, but have come to prefer using a DUI Weight and Trim system rather than integration. So, I sold the KH and am buying a DR Transpac II and an OMS 45# bungied bladder. I still dive singles, but plan on adding a 30cf pony for security--I like diving the wrecks up here.

I'm considering adding an Atomic SS1 or going back to the traditional octo. I've been reading the posts here for 3 days now and am almost less certain of the best choice than when I started.

All things considered, it sounds like the octo with at least a 36" hose is a good compromise. I've never had an OOA experience or been near a diver with one, but from what I gather the situation is ugly and the length of one's primary reg isn't enough separation. The only down side I've heard mentioned here is the potential of confusing the pony reg with the octo, but if I bungie it close around my neck, that should eliminate that problem, no?

I'd appreciate any specific opinons and information particulary any recommendations of what octo reg to buy for cold water diving? Water up here varies from about 40 F. to 50s. It may get a bit colder, but I haven't seen it yet.

Like I said, my main reg is the SP MK25/S600. I had a problem at about 40 degrees with unstoppable freeflow, but the scuba pro rep was at a show up here and adjusted it from what he said was the factory pre-set of 4-5 to 7. It doesn't breathe noticably harder, but no more freeflow.

thanks,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom