Cold-water gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions as to what is the best gear to buy for diving in cold water. I already bought a reg designed for cold water and have a drysuit. Are there any considerations regarding bc's, tanks, or other equipment that I should take into account? I usually dive 40-50F, but may be diving at close to freezing temps (alpine lakes) in the near future. One question I have is will a jacket style bc provide more warmth? Durability is also important. Any opinions on appropriate brands, styles, features, etc. for cold water diving would be really apprectiated. Thanks!

otter-cat:)

A jacket style will not provide you with more warmth. I would go with a BP/Wings - Very KISS. You said you had a drysuit, go with some warm undergarments like Weezle Extreme, or some thick Thinsulate. A good pair of gloves (wet or dry) and get hood. I got mine from company in Fl. that uses G-231 Bown Nitrogen - Amazingly warm, now if I could remeber the name. I will check back on that.

Eric

Otter-cat
Aside from the gear you've said you purchased already for coldwater ( your regs and drysuit), anything else is kind of "temperature friendly" - doesn't matter if your diving in warm or cold water, assuming you got your underwear and gloves for your drysuit. As Ericfine50 says, jacket style BC does not give you any extra warmth - head to a backplate/wings - IMO (and many others)better than standard BC's for any kind of diving.

Have fun buying gear - doesn't it feel great?!!!

SS

I agree with the BP/wings recommedation -- I prefer the Halcyon wing. I would recommend the Fred T heavy SS plate too, as well as his SS STA. Next, I would say get some PST LP tanks for back gas to help knock even more weight off the belt. I use regular 7mm gloves, drysuit hood, and Bare 200g underwear (with polypro underneith for really cold water).

Good luck,

Mike

BTW, no, a jacket style wing isn't going to keep you warmer.

Take a look at some dry gloves like the Si-Tech ones.

You may also want to look at an Argon setup for inflating your suit as well.

Originally posted by otter-cat
I'm looking for suggestions as to what is the best gear to buy for diving in cold water. ... otter-cat:)

A ticket to Bonaire?

I appreciate the info you've all given me so far! I guess I forgot to mention that I had hood and gloves, although I'm always into getting other suggestions about them as to the warmest/best brands since I'm sure that I will purchase more in the future. I don't have an undergarment yet, I wear a fleece top & bottom under the suit...are the "drysuit undergarments" worth the hundreds of dollars that they cost? What makes them so expensive...they look like they're just fleece jumpsuits to me...but I've never tried one. Also, I've heard of using argon, but never seen it. What does that involve in terms of cost and hardware? How big is the argon tank, and how do I mount it? Can I use the same drysuit hose & valves I have now? Where can I get argon fills (I don't think my LDS does them.)

Thanks again to all for the great advice! It really is much appreciated.

otter-cat:)

Found it! The hood is made by a company called Wet Wear (www.wetwear.com).

Yes, thinsulate matters - You want the Polartec stuff from Malden Mills. The cheap stuff will pile up quicker.

Argon Cylinders - a 6 cu ft or 13 cu ft (look for the one rates to 2015 = better fill). For mounting, check out gue.com or the equipment picks at www.wkpp.org and in the General Tech Section (I think?) or General Equipment was a thread a short time ago about mounting of argon tanks.

Have fun,

Eric

make certain that the undergarments are not so "puffy" they
migrate *up into* the OP valve. If that valve is blocked ...

I do most of my diving in cold water (Puget Sound, Hood Canal, Oregon Coast and mountain lakes). I doubt you need much more than the reg you have and the dry suit with undergarmets. The rest of your gear isn't really a factor in cold water. As far as a bc, I like my wings but I know people that do use a jacket style bc and they work fine if they have enough lift.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom