Cold water exposure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadj1990

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I m going diving in the gulf this weekend. The water temp is somewhere in the 60 degree range. I have a 7/8mm aqualung SOLAfx that I was comfortable in last year, that I can wear. I also have a 5mm suit i just purchased and I am wondering if it would be adequate wearing a full lavacore suit under the 5mm.

In those temps I personally use a 5 mil with lavacore under it. It give me the equivalent of a 7 mil and I only have to carry the weight to sink a 5 mil(of course in dubs or sidemount this is a non issue). Like Tbone said....a good hood is key, I always opt for a 7 mil hood when I wear one since my old melon gets chilled rather easily.

Exposure protection is a real personal thing. It depends on a lot of factors. Some people have to be as warm as they are on the surface. Personally, I don't mind being a little chilly (not cold) in order to get rid of some lead. I regularly dive water in the low to mid 50's with a 3mm and 2 polyollfin under suits and a 3mm vest, 3mm gloves and a 5mm hood (bib cut off). That gets me from 26# in a 7mm to 12#. At 68, 14# less to carry into and out of the water is significant. I shore dive and sometimes it's a bit of a walk after gearing up.

Probably fine with 5mm and lava core. Like others said though, a good hood will go a long way. So will a good fit on the wetsuit. If it's too loose then no good.

Back
Top Bottom