Cold water dives and drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO matter what drysuit you get, you will need some serious undergarment for 0C water. The inheret thermal protection of compressed/crush neoprene is very very minimal. The downside is they are less flexible, and restruct your mobility underwater (especially with thick undergarment) I will recommend shell suit + good undergarment for this temperature.

I am about to buy my first Dry for winter (up to 0°C water)/maybe an ice-diving trip once to Greenland. Am I going to be fine with a Seac Sub 3.5mm hi-density neoprene suit or shall I look for a 5mm crushed or compressed suit? I want something that has some inherent protection. Regarding budget: I am looking in the sub-1000$ range (The seac sells for 400€ around here).

there is no point of heaving inherent termal protection in dry suit. the warmth should come from undergarment. I would stay away from neoprene suits as they lose buoyancy with depth and you essencially become overweight. they are the worst of both worlds. not insulating at depth an compress.

there is no point of heaving inherent termal protection in dry suit. the warmth should come from undergarment. I would stay away from neoprene suits as they lose buoyancy with depth and you essencially become overweight. they are the worst of both worlds. not insulating at depth an compress.
Other point is the toughness & ease of repair - here, neoprene (crush or compressed) wins. I found there is no point of heaving inherent termal protection in dry suit. the warmth should come from undergarment. I would stay away from neoprene suits as they lose buoyancy with depth and you essencially become overweight. they are the worst of both worlds. not insulating at depth an compress.[/QUOTE]Other point is the toughness & ease of repair - here, neoprene (crush or compressed) wins. I found a couple pro-s and con-s here, the conclusion I drew is I definitely won't go for a soft neoprene suit."]a couple pro-s and con-s here and there, the conclusion I drew is I definitely won't go for a soft neoprene suit.

I would argue the ease of repair though. I find shell suits are easier to repair, except may be Bare nexgen which has some material that is not so glue friendly.

Sorry it took me so long to get back about the sag issue on the Bullet. Last Sunday we did a lake dive, we had intended to do a second dive so I just kept my weight belt on to see if that would stop the sag. As I figured, with the belt on there was no sag and I was quite comfortable walking around in my suit before deciding to get out of it. We called the second dive so only one dive for the day last weekend. :depressed:

I'd still feel a bit safer in a compressed neoprene suit: in case it leaks at least I have a wetsuit:). As for compressed/crushed: is there any way to know the "degree of compression"? i.e. does a "5mm compressed/crushed" originate from a thicker neoprene than a 2-3.5mm?

If it leaks you essentially have no insulation coming from it. It will not help you much and I would not rely on it. You have to use proper undergarment that keeps you warm when it is wet so you will stay warm even if it leaks. Wool and thinsulate one of those materials. The former being less dense and thus require more weight to sink.

I had my dry glove leaked many times while I was wearing wool liner underneath and it was not a big deal even in 2C water.

I'd still feel a bit safer in a compressed neoprene suit: in case it leaks at least I have a wetsuit:). As for compressed/crushed: is there any way to know the "degree of compression"? i.e. does a "5mm compressed/crushed" originate from a thicker neoprene than a 2-3.5mm?

Back
Top Bottom