Cold/Warm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbg_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good wet suit for both cold/warm water diving. I was looking at a two piece since it would double over the torso for the colder dives. Looking for any suggestions/comments/opinions.

First you need to say what you mean by warm and cold water, and where you will be diving. It also helps to fill out your profile with your location, as people from cold places often need less (or no) exposure protection in warm water than people who live there year round.

Layering is useful but it has it's limits. For instance a 3-5mm vest, hooded vest or even a shorty could come in handy for added warmth in either warm or cold water, assuming you can layer things in a way that fits. But if you live where you really need say a 7mm 2-piece suit, thats not going to be something you really want to carry or use on a tropical trip. Thin tropical suits can be pretty inexpensive anyway, you'd probably be better off getting a separate suit.

Live in Minnesota....cold water would be ice diving and warm would be summer months around here. I have been using the top part of a 7mm two piece for the summer dives and I'm looking to purchase some new equipment. I've talked to a couple of people that say they've gone ice diving with 7mm two pieces before and I was just looking for advice or some direction on what to buy.

Tramp

sbg_diver:
Live in Minnesota....cold water would be ice diving and warm would be summer months around here. I have been using the top part of a 7mm two piece for the summer dives and I'm looking to purchase some new equipment. I've talked to a couple of people that say they've gone ice diving with 7mm two pieces before and I was just looking for advice or some direction on what to buy.

Tramp

Hi Tramp,

I'm in Maine so we're on the same page.

Depending what you intend to do during the summer month there may be no such thing as warm water. The reason being that northern lakes are notorious for thermoclines that can have you in 40 something degree water even though you entered through a surface temp in the high seventies. This does not require diving to great depths.

As for Ice Diving, yes it can and is done wet. If you want to do it once to "get the Tee shirt" then go ahead. If you intend to be a 4 season diver then get a drysuit.

As for the summer diving you can use a lot of things. While a 5mm fullsuit could have occasional use buying a 7mm fullsuit will give you more range. The lighter suit would be a luxury for true warm shallow dives. I have a 7mm Bare Arctic that has served me well.

To the full suit add a hooded vest. A 3mm hooded chicken vest will complement the full suit nicely when worn under. This will be OK for modest excusions below the thermocline. For deeper, colder, longer dive get the 7mm hooded step-in vest. After that it's drysuit time.

I strongly advocate a hooded vest of some sort over a bibbed hood, The vest will give superior neck opening closure and will mute any back zipper seepage. The hooded vest is also inherently tucked in when you don it all. For the warmes dive treat yourself to a beanine.

Pete

Thanks for the tips!

Tramp

Diving Lake Michigan and Lake Supeior I bought a 6.5 farmer jon with the intention of using the top in warmer water. Never have. Being warm is good. If you are to warm let some water in at the top. When the air is to warm or cold between dives I take it off.

One choice could be a shell/tri-lam drysuit. Obviously pricier than a wetsuit, but more flexible given the ability to layer (or not layer) depending on water temps. I've worn mine in water ranging from the high 30s to the high 70s.....and have been comfortable at both ends of that wide temp range.

Chris

sbg_diver:

Tramp
Cold water......ice diving.....Dry Suit :), 7mm It's ok but after you are going to pass 20 feet you can feel the cold.

Back
Top Bottom