Cold valve turned on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've had my aluminum deco bottles set up in my heated garage for the year as I have not done any technical stuff this year. My aluminum 40 filled with O2 hasn't been touched since I put them there last March.

I leave the house at 3pm and return to at 4am and hear a hissing noise coming from where I keep my tanks. I noticed that the garage heater had not kicked on and it 43° inside instead 60°. I try and find the hissing sound and see that it's coming from my pony tanks. I see that it's coming from my pure O2 tank and turn the valve off and it has no more give to turn back. I wrench it back with force and the hissing stops after 10-15 seconds. I get the heater back on and the next day I see that I lost 2000psi out of a 3000 fill. I live alone and the garage is locked up and attached to the house to boot.

Is it possible that the Cold could have somehow caused the valve to go? It was a slow leak and no moisture or frost on the valve to indicate a rapid leak. It seems that it must have been on for 3 out of the 13 hours I was at work.

My tanks sit outside year round in Detroit and I haven't personally ever seen this or lost any gas due to it. Almost all industrial bottles sit outside year round.
I would be interested in what the seat looks like. Curious if there is any evidence of degradation from the high o2 content.
If you aren't comfortable taking it apart, come by.

I’ve seen worn seats leak in cold temps. Happened to me when it dropped down to the 30s and I had some tanks in my truck outside.

Uncommon but certainly possible.

I had tanks that had not been touched in days, weeks or months just open on their own, I'm guessing they were not properly closed and the slow trickle of air and vibrations slowly but surely cracked them open until they scared the doodoo out of someone, usually, but not always, me.

Leaking air, I might be annoyed, but basically wouldn't give a rat's ass. O2, I would put it outside until I could use it or fix it. A room full of O2 could get exciting if someone lights up, or...

Back
Top Bottom